Fatal Kegging Error (rinsing)? Need Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portdawg66

Reaction score
To my esteemed HBT colleagues...

Yesterday, while getting ready to keg a delicious Dunkelweitzen, I committed one of home brewings most critical errors... I got in a hurry!

So here's a synopsis... after thoroughly cleaning my Corny keg with a solution of hot water and PBW... I then dumped the solution, reassembled the keg, and without thoroughly rinsing, I immediately began filling (about two-thirds full), with hot water and Star San. I shook the keg, turned it on the side and rolled it occasionally for about an hour. After preparing my finished (delicious) beer for racking, I dumped the Star San solution and began filling the keg. I am now chilling/carbonating my beer.

I don't know why, but I woke up in the middle of the night, eyes wide open, trembling and sweating and thinking to myself... did I rinse the PBW solution thoroughly before filling with Star San to sanitize? Needless to say, I wasn't able to fall back to sleep.

So I am now experiencing extreme anxiety over this, because the batch turned out sooooo well! Please, I need some input, feedback, opinions!!! I'm thinking, finish carbing and give it a taste. If I don''t pick up any horrendous off-flavors... press on and enjoy. Obviously, if the un-rinsed PBW affected the beer I'll know right away, and it'll be a huge, disappointing bust!

For all you NOOBs reading this thread, let this be a lesson to you. With the exception of cooling your wort... DON'T GET IN A HURRY ABOUT ANYTHING!!!

You dumped all PBW out of the keg.
You filled the keg 2/3 full (3.3 gallons) of water and starsan.
You rolled it around thoroughly.
You dumped out all starsan water.

I think you're perfectly fine. The only thing you might want to ensure is you push a small amount out the liquid tube in case it's holding on to some PBW.

I think you're good - no worries IMO.

My gut instinct is that you're OK. I would wager that the 3.5 gallons of water + starsan rinsed out all the PBW.

PBW is non toxic, so I would just taste the beer when it is carb'd and ready to go. If it tastes normal, excellent! If it tastes weird, dump it.

Here is a related thread which will hopefully help you sleep! :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/do-you-have-rinse-after-using-pbw-117999/

Back