Fat Tire Yeast Substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I am brewing a Fat Tire clone next weekend. Since the Fat Tire yeast isnt currently available, what is a reasonable substitution for this?

If anyone has any slants of Fat Tire Yeast, i would be glad to purchase some as well.

Thanks In Advance!

I'd use the 1056. You want a clean ale yeast whatever you choose. -1 on the Ringwood also, if you have had Redhook beers their house strain is similar to Ringwood ale and it is NOT clean by any means...

I was just reporting on what i had found, not my preference. I'm not too informed on the Ringwood, sounds like its not that good. What else would use that Ringwood strain?

I was just reporting on what i had found, not my preference. I'm not too informed on the Ringwood, sounds like its not that good. What else would use that Ringwood strain?

I use the ringwood strain for English style porters, browns, and the occational ordinary bitter. it's great for English styles, not so much for anything else.

I used S-33 dry yeast in mine. It was a clone recipe kit from NB, and while good, was missing that nice malty flavor of the original. I blame that on the maltbill, not the yeast. The yeast has a little bit of character, but it is very faint.

To get the "Belgian" profile I can surely see using BA II. You want clean. The malt needs to come through on this one. American Amber done Belgian style! Dunno how BA II would turn but I imagine typical belgian flavors would emerge.

- WW

I use Wyeast 1762 and get great results. We have even done several side my side tests, and to us, we are dead on.

**After checking my stash, that is the same Belgian Abbey II that others listed.

I've used White Labs WLP051 Calkifornia Ale yeast with excellent results

To get the "Belgian" profile I can surely see using BA II. You want clean. The malt needs to come through on this one. American Amber done Belgian style! Dunno how BA II would turn but I imagine typical belgian flavors would emerge.

- WW

I can't taste anything "Belgian" about FT at all.

I use Wyeast 1762 and get great results. We have even done several side my side tests, and to us, we are dead on.

**After checking my stash, that is the same Belgian Abbey II that others listed.

You must get a very different Fat Tire on the east coast than we do on the west coast.

There is a thread out there in cyberspace that I can't find, but it has a link to the brew master's tips for making a fat tire clone. He mentions it isn't a Belgium yeast. I think he said "something clean like American Ale", but that's just a foggy memory.

I do not taste any of the signature Belgian yeast in Fat tire. All I taste is a nice malty amber? :drunk: The Abbey II brown ale/dubbel whatever you wanna call it tastes nothing like the clean malty flavor I get from FT.

Latest posts

Back