Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i feel your pain bro. before we got a big liquor warehouse chain here in Beaumont last year (Spec's), we had to drive 1.5 hours to Houston to get decent beer. hence one of the reasons i started homebrewing 6 years ago!

i wish i could get all of Stone's beer here in Texas.

The big news here in NC is that our legislature raised the abv cap from 6% to 15% a few months ago. We're just now getting the good Belgians (not New Belgium...), big Rogues, etc. You used to have to go to VA. Most of the microbreweries are following suit with some high abv beers, as well.

BeeGee said:
The big news here in NC is that our legislature raised the abv cap from 6% to 15% a few months ago. We're just now getting the good Belgians (not New Belgium...), big Rogues, etc. You used to have to go to VA. Most of the microbreweries are following suit with some high abv beers, as well.
rock on! :drunk:
believe itor not, there are still several dry countiesin Texas, including Dallas. stupid hu? :confused:

DeRoux's Broux said:
believe itor not, there are still several dry countiesin Texas, including Dallas. stupid hu? :confused:

You don't have to tell me...I lived in Dallas for a few years. Unicard member since 1995! Worked in Richardson and used to drive to the 159 encircled acres that was Buckingham to buy beer.

We have plenty of dry counties and blue laws in NC, particularly in the mountains. There is typically a Brew Thru right at the county line. I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking and a trip back east from the Ocoee River in TN entailed crossing into NC on a divided highway and going a few hundred yards to a cut-through in the median, going back just into TN and buying beer at a c-store, hitting another cut-through in TN to go east again, and eating at a bbq joint a few miles inside NC that allowed brown bagging.

That flat ass tire recipe is courtesy of Hop Head on the green board (brewboard). I brewed it as my 4th batch, I believe it was. Maybe 5th. It's a bit hoppier than the original FT. Not what I'd call an accurate clone. Please note that some of the grains in the flat ass tired recipe require toasting (not hard but gives the right biscuit type flavor).

DeRoux's Broux said:
Yeah, and my fellow Okies are always running down to Texas to get 6 point Budweiser! Ah, if only they were enlightened enough to realize that our larger liquor stores have as good of selection of good brews as most of Texas's liquor stores.

Mindflux said:
That flat ass tire recipe is courtesy of Hop Head on the green board (brewboard). I brewed it as my 4th batch, I believe it was. Maybe 5th. It's a bit hoppier than the original FT. Not what I'd call an accurate clone. Please note that some of the grains in the flat ass tired recipe require toasting (not hard but gives the right biscuit type flavor).

Yeah, I already acknowledged to the forum that that recipe was from another forum. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, it is exactly what I remember about Fat Tire. I don't think you can get much closer to a clone as a matter of fact.

ORRELSE said:
Yeah, I already acknowledged to the forum that that recipe was from another forum. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, it is exactly what I remember about Fat Tire. I don't think you can get much closer to a clone as a matter of fact.

That's fine, I drink enough fat tire to know what I percieve it to be like and while that recipe is good (I don't know why you got all huffy about me noting where *I* found the recipe). I used to live in Denver and drank fat tire on many, many.. MANY ocassions.

IMHO it's not the same.. but then again I've never had a clone recipe I considered so damn close to the beer it attempted to be.

Still good none the less.

Well, I'm kegging mine today and have a sixer of Fat Tire in the fridge. I plan on doing a side by side as mine matures a little bit, and *I* will give you my "perception" of *MY* clone recipe. ;~)

Mindflux said:
DeRoux,

Good deal. Keep us informed!
i'm jones'n! i had to replace my keg frid ge due to Rita and got it all together, and the damn shanks are too short for my new fridge! :(
but, that'll make me let it carb for 2-3 days and be right when it's ready to tap this weekend. i'll post an update!

i was worried it might be a little hoppier than the original. usually happens w/ a homebrew clone (in my experience anyway).

I'm bottling mine tonight (but my recipe is a hybrid of three others that I was considering.) It will have been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks when my sis-in-law's boyfriend moves up here from El Paso, TX. He's bringing me a case of the real deal and I'll actually be able to do a side-by-side comparison.

I have no idea how close to the mark I am, but I'm sure my beer will be good. Plus, I'll also have 24 bottles of Fat Tire to drink anyway, so I don't think I'll be upset by anything. :drunk:

-walker

Mindflux said:
That's fine, I drink enough fat tire to know what I percieve it to be like and while that recipe is good (I don't know why you got all huffy about me noting where *I* found the recipe). I used to live in Denver and drank fat tire on many, many.. MANY ocassions.

IMHO it's not the same.. but then again I've never had a clone recipe I considered so damn close to the beer it attempted to be.

Still good none the less.

Who's getting huffy? I'm just having a hard time understanding why you have to repeat the obvious. If you would have read the entire thread, you'd have noticed I mentioned the toasting of the grains, and also I mentioned it was from another brewer at another forum. Why you felt the need to repeat all that is beyond me.

ORRELSE said:
Who's getting huffy? I'm just having a hard time understanding why you have to repeat the obvious. If you would have read the entire thread, you'd have noticed I mentioned the toasting of the grains, and also I mentioned it was from another brewer at another forum. Why you felt the need to repeat all that is beyond me.

Because I didn't read the entire thread. Don't get in a huff buddy.

I think everybody needs a timeout. :)

My child-rearing books say an effective timeout is 1 minute for every year of age.

MindFlux... sit in the corner for 28 minutes.

ORRELSE... sit in a different corner for 32 minutes.

then come out swinging. :)

-walker

Walker said:
I'm bottling mine tonight (but my recipe is a hybrid of three others that I was considering.) It will have been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks when my sis-in-law's boyfriend moves up here from El Paso, TX. He's bringing me a case of the real deal and I'll actually be able to do a side-by-side comparison.

I have no idea how close to the mark I am, but I'm sure my beer will be good. Plus, I'll also have 24 bottles of Fat Tire to drink anyway, so I don't think I'll be upset by anything. :drunk:

-walker

Can't wait for the review. You will be tasting it tonight, no matter what, right?

ORRELSE said:
Can't wait for the review. You will be tasting it tonight, no matter what, right?

Absolutely. I almost always take a 4 oz sample when I rack from pri->sec and another when I rack sec->bucket.

I had taken a sample a couple weeks ago and shared it with the ladies of the house and the response was mixed. All tasters thought it was good, but there was a split decision on whether it actually tasted like fat tire. As usual, I was the most critical judge of my beer. (I have low self esteem, according to my wife.)

Unanimously, we all thought it was too dark in color, but that's because of the LME I used.

-walker

i tasted mine a little while ago when i kegged and color was on, and taste was pretty close too. once it's carbed i'll get the full aroma and flavor. i'll tap it friday!

I wonder how many people have a FT clone in the works right now. I suspect there are at least a half dozen of us that brewed right about the same time.

This might be a great opportunity for a swap/critique.

-walker

wait! my sis-in-law's boyfriend is coming up from El Paso soon. I'll have him swing by. This will give me another opportunity to tell him, "Ramone.. bring me my beer." (that's for gaelone.)

-walker

um........uh, i hate for him to go through all that trouble.... :~) but he can sample it and give you a review!

DeRoux's Broux said:
um........uh, i hate for him to go through all that trouble.... :~) but he can sample it and give you a review!

he wouldn't like it, I'm sure. He's a light lager drinker. you're just going to have to give me the whole keg, DeRoux. :)

-walker

ORRELSE said:

Unfortunately, I came home last night to find a very lengthy "Honey Do" list. By the time I got through that pile of work, it was about 11:30pm. No way I was going to try and start bottling then.

I'm shooting to do it tonight... again...

-walker

ARGH! Another list of chores kept be busy until after 10pm, so it's not it bottles yet. Tonight is out of the question, because I have to put together a previously un-used daybed.

Why? Because the worst of situations is about to begin: my mother-in-law is visiting for the week. She'll be at my house when I get home, and won't leave until next Sunday. Good god, I don't know if I can handle her for 10 days.

She's a nice lady, but I swear to god... she NEVER SHUTS HER MOUTH.

She's also a bit narcoleptic. She'll just suddenly nod off in the middle of one of her soliloquies and start snoring. Then, 30 minutes later, she'll pop right back up and keep talking like nothing ever happened.

Thank the beer gods I have about 2 full batches bottled and ready to drink if necessary!

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd bury MYSELF in the ground.

-walker

Walker said:
Why? Because the worst of situations is about to begin: my mother-in-law is visiting for the week. She'll be at my house when I get home, and won't leave until next Sunday. Good god, I don't know if I can handle her for 10 days.

She's a nice lady, but I swear to god... she NEVER SHUTS HER MOUTH.

Dude, I don't even want to hear it. I live in the same damn city as my Mother-in-lawS. Yes, I said mother-in-laws, PLURAL. My wife's parents divorced and both remarried. :rolleyes:
Fortunately both of them are pretty cool, but my wife's real mother can really push my buttons. I know she does it on purpose too. :mad:

Anyway, I've noticed through past experience that a flask comes in handy during these troubling times. Fill it with Jager or something smooth and gulp between sips of homebrew. :D

well, i'm drinking my Fat Tyre as i brew my ESB..........and.......i haven't done a side-by-side yet, put the first pull was (what seems to me) a tad darker and hoppier (as we have all seemed to note). i do a comparison on about the 4-5 pint, make sure all the sediment is out ;~)

ORRELSE said:
I've noticed through past experience that a flask comes in handy during these troubling times. Fill it with Jager or something smooth and gulp between sips of homebrew. :D

Dude, when she's on one of her rambling, sleep-interrupted monologues, a big swig of arsenic would be fine by me.

-walker

okay, i still haven't done a side by side, but as my clone warms (which i prefer), it takes on a belgian dubbel tone. a little chocolate, raisin finsish.......strange......warm fuzzies.......

DeRoux's Broux said:
how does that recipe look? (or was it posted already????)
Here's the recipe from Beer Captured

Fat Tire Amber Ale
8 oz. US 80L Crystal Malt
6 oz. German Munich Malt
4 oz. US Victory Malt
3 oz. Belgian Biscuit Malt

4 lb. Alexanders Pale Malt Extract Syrup
2.5 lb. Muntons Extra Light DME

1/3 oz. Yakima Magnum @ 15% AA (5 HBU)

1/2 oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker
1 tsp. Irish Moss

1/4 oz. Willamette

Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II, or
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Stron Ale

I brewed this last night, with a couple of changes. Defalco's doesn't carry Victory Malt...they said it's the same as bisquit malt, and they suggested that I try aromatic which I did. Also, I used White Labs WLP530 Belgian Abbey Ale Yeast instead of the Wyeast.

wow! that's almost nothing like mine. the only thing the same is the munich and biscuit (mine had 2 oz biscuit). plus, mine was AG. looks good though!

DeRoux's Broux said:
wow! that's almost nothing like mine. the only thing the same is the munich and biscuit (mine had 2 oz biscuit). plus, mine was AG. looks good though!

Too bad you can't get an original and do a side-by-side taste testing. Or can you?

I would REALLY be interested in that. :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
There does seem to be a lot of wildly different opinions about how to make this...we'll just have to see I guess. Hopefully it will be good...I was a little concerned that I was going to have a slow start, because the starter took two days to get going. Boy was I wrong about that...pitched late last night and woke up at 7am to bubbles every 3 secs and an inch of krausen! :cool: It boggles my mind that people don't make starters.

HB, i can do a side-by-side. i've got some Tire in the fridge ready for the challenge. i'm just giving mine another day or two to let the carbonation settle from "forcing".
you know, it supposed to be a belgian "pale ale" and i wondered why my HBS suggested the Cali Ale? but tasting it, it has a dubbel kinda finish. must be the biscuit?
it'll be good, and i'm eager to brew it agian and use some of the malts listed in the Beer Captured recipe (and Belgian yeast!).

Back