Fat Tire Clone Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan21

Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning to brew a Fat Tire clone extract and I"m concerned with the SRM projection from Beersmith. I found this recipe and ordered the grains but when i run it through it comes up to 19.7 SRM which seems way too dark.

5 lbs. Laaglander plain extra-light DME
o 0.50 lb. crystal malt (20° Lovibond)
o 0.50 lb. crystal malt (40° Lovibond)
o 0.50 lb. carapils malt
o 0.50 lb. Munich malt
o 0.50 lb. biscuit malt
o 0.50 lb. chocolate malt
o 3 AAUs Willamette pellet hops (0.66 oz. at 4.5% alpha acid)
o 1.33 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.33 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
o 2 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.50 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
o 1 tsp. Irish moss
o 2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
o Wyeast 1056 or BrewTek CL-10

Since I ordered the grains as a single grain bill what are my options or did I screw up by having them all combined? maybe this isn't too dark but it sure seems that way.. Could I cut back on the grains and add more DME to keep the OG/SG in range?

Thanks for you thoughts.

They don't even make Laaglander extract anymore, as far as I know. So you'll want to use Munton's or Briess light or extra light.

But that's not why this recipe is so dark, so anyway, a .5 pound of chocolate malt will make the beer very dark. It'll also make it very roasty tasting. Drop that, and you should be in much better shape. That's not a Fat Tire clone!

Oh, I just saw that they are combined.

Well, you aren't making Fat Tire. Call it an English brown, and you're good.

Thanks for the feedback. Lesson learned, should have run it through Beersmith before I ordered it. I did buy the Briess DME.

Is this a reasonable recipe to follow for a Fat Tire clone? Or is there a different recipe somewhere for it? I ask because SWMBO's father absolutely loves Fat Tire and we cannot get it here in PA. So I was thinking a surprise batch and giving him a case for xmas.

Is this a reasonable recipe to follow for a Fat Tire clone? Or is there a different recipe somewhere for it? I ask because SWMBO's father absolutely loves Fat Tire and we cannot get it here in PA. So I was thinking a surprise batch and giving him a case for xmas.

I don't remember the exact recipe, but the Fat Tire clone kit that Austin Homebrew Supply sells is pretty good.

I think the Dec. 2010 issue of BYO had a Fat Tire recipe that was provided by the brewer. BYO also published a different recipe in 2006 (I think) but I would skip it. I made the all grain version of the 2010 recipe a while ago and thought it was reasonably close. Do a search on here and you'll find the recipe.

The more I research this recipe the more I realize it is not a Fat Tire clone or even close from the feedback on it. I'm only out the cost of the grains though. Someday i'll use them for some Frankenstein beer when I have nothing else to brew. Think I'll check out the AHB kit.

Maybe not a Fat Tire clone ...but why don't you try it anyway ..maybe it will be the best thing you've ever had!

I brewed up a batch the other day, it's going crazy in the fermenter right now. I used up some victory malt, 40l, and cara/pils I had along with enough of the mixed bag of grains I ordered to get 3.5 lbs of grain and 5.5 lbs of extra light DME. got a 1.053 OG. I used the hops and schedule from the recipe. I know its not an exact recipe and won't be able to reproduce it exactly but we'll see how it turns out. It will be my first "Frankenstein" Beer, anxious to give it a taste. No since in waisting the grains right..

Good to hear. I started out with a FT clone but it morphed into something slightly different and I find it even better than the FT (which I love). You never know!

Back