"Fast" Lager not very fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtiger1987

Snowtiger
Reaction score
Mistakenly thinking that the WLP845 label read Fest Lager instead of Fast Lager I picked up a vial to use for half of my Oktoberfest. I normally brew 10 gallons and pitch WLP 838 (Southern German Lager) in half that becomes Vienna Lager.

Since the Fast Lager vial was a few months old I did a 2 liter starter for a 5 gallon batch at 1.056 and did not do anything for the pack of Southern German Lager. After fermenting at 50 degrees - 14 days later the Fast Lager half was at 1.024 and the Southern German Lager half was at 1.010. o_O

After swirling and warming to 60 degrees the Fast Lager half seems to be fermenting again.

Interesting White Labs website has almost no information on it. My guess is that it is fast at a little warmer temperatures than you would normally ferment a lager. Thus when you raised the temperature it took off again.

Never heard of that yeast.

But you under pitched and I haven't seen White Labs vials in a while, so it was probably a little long in the tooth.

From what I have seen White Labs has not totally converted over to the Fast Pitch Packs.

The OP stated the yeast was a couple of months old. It was an underpitch but if it was done on a stirplate it was not a severe underpitch.

I used the fast lager once, bought it on accident too, thinking it was the high pressure lager.

Not sure about the name too. It fermented out about the same speed as most other lager yeasts, cleared/cleaned up in about the same amount of lager time too.

Its supposed to be at higher temps, and also under pressure i believe. Used it once, cant recall results or find notes.

Latest posts

Back