Fast FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of pumpkin ale about three weeks ago, when I transfered off of the pumpkin sludge two weeks ago I took a gravity reading (1.014) when I checked it tonight in preperation for kegging the FG was 1.014. Is it unusual for it to be done fermenting that quickly? In the past all of my brews have taken a lot longer, just curious.

No, The fastest beer i have made was an IPA that fermented out 100% in 8 days. It all depends on the conditions and how the yeast reacts. Two weeks is what most "how to brew" books recommended, we just like to keep it in longer to clean things up.

If it wasn't done in three weeks I would be surprised.
How long does it usually take you to hit your FG?

I brewed a batch of pumpkin ale about three weeks ago, when I transfered off of the pumpkin sludge two weeks ago I took a gravity reading (1.014) when I checked it tonight in preperation for kegging the FG was 1.014. Is it unusual for it to be done fermenting that quickly? In the past all of my brews have taken a lot longer, just curious.

usually in two weeks or so, >>>>>>>>>

If you brewed it 3 weeks ago, then checked it 2 weeks ago.
That's 5 weeks in the fermentor.
Isn't 5 more then 2?
:confused:

Isn't 5 more then 2?

He was referring to the fact that the gravity hit its final resting point at two weeks, not that he kept it in the fermentor for two weeks.

After 60 batches that include 15 extract recipes, probably 90% of then reached FG at day 5 or less.
Few recipes took longer, none beyond 2 weeks to finish, as seen below.

ferment.jpg

I had a mild ale ferment out in about three days and was drinkable in three weeks (two weeks in the bottle). Pitching a bunch of yeast can really shorten fermentation times; I still leave them in the bucket for at least three weeks though for clean-up duty.

With very low O.G.'s, I have gone from primary to kegged-and-drinking in 1 week.

Isn't 5 more then 2?

It was brewed on 2.9.11 racked to secondary on 2.16.11 and checked the gravity (1.014) then yesterday checked the gravity and it was still at 1.014.

This was the first time i took a gravity that early. I usually wait at least three weeks before i check gravity. I have always used the theory that longer is better, try not to rush :)

Thanks for the advise.

I've had low OG beers ferment out in less than 24 hours, so it's not uncommon for it to be done in three days or so, although I've had some ales take 5 days or so.

If you pitch the proper amount of yeast, and ferment at the proper temperature, an ale should be done fermenting in 5 days or less. That doesn't mean I bottle it then- I let it sit a bit to clear and condition before packaging.

After 60 batches that include 15 extract recipes, probably 90% of then reached FG at day 5 or less.
Few recipes took longer, none beyond 2 weeks to finish, as seen below.

You, my friend, have well exceeded 10 level beer nerd. Well done.:rockin:

That looks like a chart we would use at work--at NASA.

Back