Fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I'm doing a gallon batch for fun, I used a half a packet of yeast. So theoretically 2.5 times what's required. The fermentation kicked off very quickly and then died off the next day. It's been 3 days. Do you think the fermentation is done? The recipe said ferment for 2 weeks. I haven't pulled a sample yet to test just wanted to hear some opinions.

Overpitching can lead to a quicker fermentation, but "done" means that the yeast has done all it can do to benefit your beer, and after 3 days I highly doubt that's the case. I would give it 10 days at minimum before bottling/kegging, and only then after you have confirmed that the hydrometer readings aren't changing over a couple days.

Pull the sample. Did you control the temp? 3 days in a small batch or larger well-pitched batch is not unusual, but the less control you had over the fermenter environment, the more you want to sit back and let the yeast clean up a bit, so like TheMadKing said 10 days should take care of that. It won't take care of fusels if the fermentation was too hot though. Mostly to clean up diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc.

I'm going to pull a sample today and check. My og was 1.31 (first all grain) so well see. I've only got 50 gallons of brewing under my belt so I'm still a noob

3 days is much too soon. Hide it out of your sight for another 1.5 weeks so you don't think about it

I put it in the top of my pantry. Sitting at a cool 70 degrees f

Back