Fast Clean Fermentation - I guess that's good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk10mm

Reaction score
So I did an Irish Red on Sunday. Og was 1.055. So today is really the 4th full day of fermentation, but the bubbles have stopped (i know that doesn't mean its really done). I popped the bucket open to take a gravity reading and low and behold there was no Krausen. I probably could have scraped a couple of tablespoons of it from the edge of the beer/bucket. I tested the gravity and came up with 1.012 at 67 degrees.

Is it ready to rack to secondary? My target FG was 1.012, but I don't want to rush it. I guess i could just RDWHAHB and rack this weekend to be certain, I'm in no rush.

I was just surprised to see no krausen, or even signs of a high krausen during the last few days.

What say ye? Thanks for everyone's help here! There's a wealth of knowledge and advice to be gotten.

oh, a bit further information. this was an AHS minimash,

Steeped grains at ~155 for 45 minutes 1.5lb 2row, 1lb munich, .5lb caramunich, .5lb crystal 120l,

5lb munich extract, brewvint alcohol boost

hop schedule was 1.5 Hallertau for 60, .5 cascade and .5 hallertau for 15, .5 cascade for 5

yeast fuel and whirflock tab at 15min

No need to rack. Leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks or until the beer turns bright. THen bottle.

Sounds like fermentation took place, i've had a few that produced a light krausen. I'd just snap the lid back on and leave it for another 3 weeks, don't even bother with secondary. :mug:

If you are going to do a secondary, I would leave it in the fermenter for at least 7 days. I don't do secondarys anymore and just leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks. The less I mess with it the better it comes out, but to each his own.

It's an Irish Red. No need to secondary unless you are going to cold condition for a while.

Latest posts

Back