Farmhouse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stijn26

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to do my first attempt at a farmhouse IPA.
I want a very hoppy beer but the yeast character needs to come through, a little...

Looking to get 30 liters (8 gallons) into the fermenter. Volume post-boil should be 35 liters

OG: 1.052
Expected FG: 1.003

Mash on low temp (66°C, 151 fahrenheit)
Grist:
pils 65%
vienna 20%
oat malt 10%
sugar 5%

Boil for 90 mins:
Hops (am I overdoing them?):
magnum, 10 grams boil for 90 mins
denali, 70 grams boil for 5 minutes
vic secret, 70 grams boil for 5 minutes
denali, 70 grams boil for 0 minutes
vic secret, 70 grams boil for 0 minutes
denali, 90 grams dryhop
vic secret, 90 grams dryhop

Yeast:
Wyeast 3711 french saison. Ferment at 23°C (73 fahrenheit).

Any recommendations?

Why use Saison yeast? Personally I can’t stand French Saison but even then the phenols from most POF+ yeast clash with modern hops in my opinion. I’ve only had one of these beers (Oxbow) but I’ve seen more brewed recently.

Anything “Farmhouse” really needs to have Brett. Any Farmhouse IPA I’ve seen has had some Brett fermentation. Otherwise you’re just making a hoppy Saison.

I would add Brett to your primary ferment of a nice fruity IPA yeast or primary with the IPA yeast then transfer to a secondary vessel and add Brett. You’re gonna need to leave it for at least a month, ideally two to make sure you’ve reached a stable gravity. Then dry hop for a few days and package.

the Brett Var Drie strain from White Labs is nice and fruity. Brett Claussenii is good. 184 from The Yeast Bay is my personal fave. All of these are fruity Brett’s without a ton of funk.

Also don’t Boil Vic Secret. It’s super high in polyphenols and you can get some harshness. 5 minutes shouldn't be bad but I’d just eliminate that 5 minute addition altogether. Just add more Magnum to compensate for IBUs.

When I did this I used a Belgian(WYeast 1388, Belgian Golden Strong)/ Brett yeast mix(WYeast 5526, Brett Lambicus). This was a yeast slurry from a Belgian Golden Strong I aged on Brett and Peaches. I pitched the slurry and waited 4 months for the Brett to do it's thing! A couple days before bottling I dryhopped with Simcoe. The flavor and aroma are super different than anything I have ever had with Simcoe. Strong flavor of Lemon rind(in a good way). It's been in the bottle for about a year now and it continues to get more fruity. The carbonation is also getting higher, which mean the Brett continues to work.

Back