Farewell perfectly-functional wet bar 1 wk after closing on the house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swear profusely for an hour then rip out all of the hard work.........

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

weirdboy said:
OK so maybe this is a stupid question, but what do you do if the freezer breaks?

Yeah, that has crossed my mind.

I would either cut a really big hole in the wall behind it, to pull the freezer out through the garage and replace it with the same model or I would redesign the whole thing from scratch.

The problem this time was budget. In the future, I could see myself going with a combination of those two options and putting the freezer on a pull out shelf from the garage side.

.... I guess you would have had to figure a way to still remove it to work on lines or faucets or anything but im sure you could come up with something.....

I forgot to mention this, I guess.

The right side of the "coffin" is fixed in place and the left/inside-front edge of that piece has a track, where the front panel with the faucets fits-in. To close everything up, I slide the right edge of the front panel into that track/groove and then swing the left end backward into place like a door on a hinge. The left end buts up against a piece of wood you can't see, which is mounted to the left wall for that purpose. The front panel stays where it belongs because it is held back by the drip tray (not attached to anything for cleaning) and then the cover panel with the tile, which is fairly heavy.

I really need to post a video... Maybe I'll try to do that this afternoon. I'd ask the wife to help but she will probably make fun of me for sending videos to my "online beer friends." haha

I finally recorded a video that I think clearly demonstrates the concept.

I know, I know.. you guys thought I would have a huge black helmet and a necktie...

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!! How the hell did I miss your thread? What an amazing feat of engineering and craftmanship! You did a hell of a job.....I salute you sir. I'll take a little more time to read through the entire thread later, but from what I see so far, this retro-fit couldn't have turned out cooler. Nice work! :tank:

Thanks, Guys. Hopefully, the video in my last post helps demonstrate the 'coffin' section and the removable left side.

Oh. Actually a buddy from work was an apprentice plumber in a former life, so he came over one evening and we ran the drain PVC down through the floor, across the basement, and into a "Y" at the drain where the Laundry feeds. It all works like a charm and I LOVE having a mid-scale ice-maker in the house.

I'll probably be brewing sometime this weekend, and it'll be great to finally have a supply of ice for my pre-chiller, without having to go buy $4 bags of ice from the store.

titties....

just wondering in the event your keezer craps out on you can you easily removed and install a new one with out tearing down the wet bar?

-=Jason=-

This was addressed earlier in the thread. Basically, I can either take out the wetbar and start almost from scratch or I can cut through from the garage and pull it out the back.

Update: Finally got tired of my cheap faucets sticking and ordered/installed perlicks...actually got a decent deal @ $17 ea

I would cut a hole in my garage and pull it out!

Haha you got me! I replied to a post 6 months old! :)

Like a good beer, threads only get better with time. :)

I do like the idea of framing out a door in the back wall of the garage, big enough to slide the freezer out....but most likely, I would buy a new (larger) freezer and leave it in the garage.

Then, just run the beer lines through the wall to feed the faucets and leave the broken freezer in the wetbar until the day I decide to redo the whole thing again. :)

Next project is the electric brewery though... Why waste time with wood and tile when you can mess with something far more dangerous.....220v

Heh The wife didnt leave me so I guess it worked out in the end! Not sure I wil roll the dice again, though...haha

Wow, that is awesome...I lost faith mid way through and then was stunned at the last few posts! Nice work.

I love this bar. Its just so clean and subtle.

Just a thought, and you may not care, but running stuff into the garage could be hard to meet code requirements. A lot of times the garage has to be completely sealed off from the house (barring and entrance door). As soon as you start having extra access or lines running through the wall, things get dicey. I guess they don't like the idea of your house filling with carbon monoxide. . .

Back