Fans of Limbo IPA Out There?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enthuzed

Reaction score
With ski season coming to a close I won't be up in VT as much this summer and want to enjoy some Limbo at home. Here is my first attempt at this recipe. Let me know if you like, love it, hate it.

(NOTE: The 1 min additions are added at flameout and whirlpooled for 15 min. I always put them in as 1 so I can get a close IBU count)

Recipe
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 8.0 oz American 2-Row (RAHR) (2.1 SRM) 96.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 1.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 1.7 %
0.80 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 40.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min 12.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 4.0 min 7.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 4.0 min 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Love the stuff but wasn't sure what the hops were in the brew. Where did you source your hop profile from? Personally it looks great.

Recently Long Trail changed their website (For the better) and includes some ingredients.

They say the following:

Brand Name: Limbo IPA
Style: American IPA
Bitterness Units: 80
ABV: 7.6%
Date of Introduction: Fall of 2013
Malts: 2-row Pale, Wheat and Caramel Malt
Hops: Bravo, Chinook, Galaxy, Mosaic

So I would say your recipe is close... but curious how much wheat is in it.

(Maybe I'll camp outside the brewery and kidnap the brewer. I can almost see the brewery from my house lol).

I just went straight off their website and taste. All I know is that this stuff STINKS (In a good way), Just blasts you with Aussie hops. Didn't have any wheat malt on hand so I left it out. I am also curious how much they really put in.

Let me know how the kidnapping goes :D And we can all benefit!

I know two people that work there, though neither in the brew room. I'll see if they can find out any roundabout percentages.

I don't see much of a point in adding only .5oz chinook at that time - doubt you would taste it in the midst of all those other high-oil hops you're loading up in the end there.

I would personally move chinook to the dry hop - as I recall this beer has a very tropical nose to it and Chinook in the dry hop produces tons of pineapple notes (for me and a lot of others, at least).

I brewed this a week after first trying Limbo as I fell in love with it. It came close, if I brew it again, I will change the bittering hop to Warrior or Magnum and up the IBU's. Otherwise, this is a very tasty recipe.

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

0.5 oz Columbus 60 Min
1 oz Mosaic 10 Min
1 oz Galaxy 5 min
1 oz Mosaic 5 min
2 oz Galaxy 2 min
2 oz Mosaic 2 Min

Dry hop with 1 oz Mosaic and 1 oz Galaxy for 5 Days

US-05 Yeast

Mash @ 150 for 90 minutes.

Final Numbers:

OG: 1.069
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.4%
IBU's: 56 ish

I brewed this a week after first trying Limbo as I fell in love with it. It came close, if I brew it again, I will change the bittering hop to Warrior or Magnum and up the IBU's. Otherwise, this is a very tasty recipe.

Good to know that it was close! Even if it's not exactly Limbo, it's still going to be pretty darn tasty. I will also move the chinook to the dry hop.

Back