False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Lately I've been having an issue gravity transferring my wort to the fermentor. It seems that the pellet hops are clogging my bazooka tube and I'm having to clear it with my spoon or wort chiller to complete the transfer..... What a PITA!

I use half a whirfloc tablet at 5 minutes, but this is not helping. I am considering adding a false bottom to my kettle but am not sure that this is going to solve the problem..... Anyone have any experience with using a false bottom in conjunction with their BIAB?

The Whirlfloc (Irish miss) is for coagulating break material, not hop gunk. Just try using a hop sock/spider instead of putting pellets directly in the wort. Or get one of the more costly, but very effective, stainless steel hop canisters that hang on your kettle's rim. You can also sit one on the bottom of the kettle if need be.

Pellet hops and trub form an impermeable sludge. If I wanted to filter the wort post boil I would try using some whole hops to form a filter bed...

Pellet hops and trub form an impermeable sludge. If I wanted to filter the wort post boil I would try using some whole hops to form a filter bed...

This is what I do. I never use more than 50% pellet (minimum of 2 oz of leaf) in my system as I am just using a SS scrubber pad over the end of my dip tube from my BK valve. Once in probably 5 years it got clogged enough to make me blow through the valve to clear it.

I do what McKnuckle said, except I just use one of my BIAB bags clipped to the side with a binder clip. When the boil is over I pull the bag above the level of the wort, clip it and let it drain back into the kettle.

Would stainless steel hop balls be effective with keeping the bazooka screen clear when using pellet hops?.... No false bottom.

i just let my wort sit for for the last 10 mins of cooling and most of the hop gunk settles to the bottom. i use a SS braided hose and its never clogged

Latest posts

Back