False Bottom Use and Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGRip

Reaction score
Hello HBT'ers,

I recently brewed my first all-grain batch after several years of extract brewing (curse of a tiny NYC apartment). It went well overall, but I have two quick questions.

- I found that I got a fair bit of grain under my false bottom (I'm using a round 10G igloo cooler mash tun purchased from Midwest). I was able to easily strain it out of the kettle before the boil, but still... Anybody else experience this? Any tips on minimizing it (i.e. water then grain, or vice-versa)?

- I'm generally very thorough in my cleaning procedures, but I'm wondering how nuts I should go after each brew in terms of taking out the false bottom, bulkhead, and ball valve. Seems like a royal pain to take apart, and I'm not sure that it is necessary. Any thoughts, suggestions, or experience to share?

Thanks much for your help,
Greg

No real need to "clean" the MT as it is preboil...a thorough rinse and a visual is all I see appropriate...IMO of course:mug: The grain that you add to the MT on every batch is loaded w/ bugs...that's why we boil.

Latest posts

Back