False bottom too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredbeard

Reaction score
I just got a stainless steel false bottom for my homemade tun and in my opinion it's too small by about an inch on either side. My question is; should I go ahead and use it anyway? I've never owned one and don't know if this will work "well enough" or not. My fear is that it will slide around or maybe even let the grains push under it. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? I'm supposed to be brewing with my homebrew club this Saturday and don't think I'll make it.
mUF4wTz1xsfOCECprpBSlQ

in case the above image isn't showing here is the original linky
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mUF4wTz1xsfOCECprpBSlQ?feat=directlink
Thanks for looking!

Are you planning on using rigid pipe to connect that to your outlet, or flexible tubing? The rigid pipe might hold it in place, but even then that's a lot of room for grain to sneak around it.

Are you planning on using rigid pipe to connect that to your outlet, or flexible tubing? The rigid pipe might hold it in place, but even then that's a lot of room for grain to sneak around it.

+1 (part of it anyway). I would rig it up with some rigid pipe either using either cpvc or copper to hold the FB firmly in place. You can probably use it without doing this, but if you find it necessary to stir the mash, which is not at all unusual, it would be good to have it secured. I have one installed in a keggle like this and nothing gets under it no matter what. It's not difficult to do at all.

Most of the comments have eased my fears a little and thank you for all of the help. I may even have a solution. I found an old lid that fits perfectly in the bottom of the cooler. I was thinking about attaching it to the bottom of the FB to sort of complete the seal. Kind of like making a metal ring around the outside of it.
I may also stick with the rigid pipe idea. Either way I think I'll still get to brew this weekend...huzzah!

Back