False bottom recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millatime

Reaction score
Hi All,

Right now I have the 10 gallon Ferm Favorite coolers/mash tun with the circular false bottom as seen here:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fermenters-favorites-cooler-mash-lauter-tun

I've done about 8 all grains brews now and they have all turned out pretty good, however I have had about 3-4 stuck sparges. I do all batch sparging. I know one time I had too much pumpkin puree in my mash and that caused the issue, but not sure if what my issue is with the others. I have been getting all my grain crushed from NB.

I can see sometimes the false bottom doesnt quite "sit" all the way down on the bottom of the cooler and make good contact with the cooler. I position it the best I can and try not to touch with with too much grain or with my large spoon when sparging or stirring. Ive had to completely take everything out of the mash tun, and clear the grains from the tube in the false bottom. I try to set the grain bed nicely and I dont fully open the port to cause a huge flow.

What I am looking for is some possible replacements false bottoms for the cooler. The false bottoms from Adv in brewing got some good reviews but I am not 100% sure it will fit. I have read a lot about using a screen tube with about the same success with a false bottom so I might try that one day.

I would also consider a whole new mash tun if the price is right. Thank you for any info you can provide!

:rock:

I dont know why I didnt think of that, maybe beer brain. That looks perfect actually. Thank you!

:rock:

Back