False bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
When using a false bottom that has 6 liters to reach the bottom of the screen do you count this volume in the mash volume? My thought is that the 6 liters counts towards part of the mash volume. Ex mash volume calculated by Beersmith is 12 liters. I would just add 12l to the tun and dough in at proper temp? Do not add 6l to the 12 totalling 18 l?

This is different than mash tun deadspace in Beersmith correct? The deadspace there refers to the volume of liquid that can not be removed from the tun when pumping over to boil kettle?

Add the dead space to the 12 liters, ideally that will cover your grain bed

In this case then I'm guessing the deadspace is the entire volume under the false bottom vs just the volume the pump can not draw out?

I believe BeerSmith now has a parameter to enter the 6l in order to account for the recoverable space under the false bottom. I'm not sure but it may only be on the desktop version though.
It's located in the equipment profile setup under Mash Addition.

As far as I know, Beersmith does not discern the amount being recoverable or not.
When you set your recipe up, figure out how thick you want your mash to be,(EG: 1.25 Qts. per lb.) then add in the water below the false bottom. The actual water to grist ratio will be higher, (1.35 for example), but the mash will be the thickness you like. Just watch it isn't too thin when making a small beer.
I've also like using Beersmiths INFUSION tool rather than what the recipe tells me.

I believe BeerSmith now has a parameter to enter the 6l in order to account for the recoverable space under the false bottom. I'm not sure but it may only be on the desktop version though.
It's located in the equipment profile setup under Mash Addition.

You are correct.... I looked the other day when I saw in the bs forum that the new version incorporated this. In my case I enter 3l in the deadspace and 3l in the additions spot since of the 6l total under the screen I can recover 3l into the fermenter since the drain is under the screen. From what I understand I think I am entering it correctly.

Back