False Bottom not flush to sides of mash kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwberne

Reaction score
I just got an 8 gallon kettle with thermometer and spigot from SWMBO. I purchased a false bottom so I can use the kettle as mash/lauter tun. It sits just above the spigot, as I intended, but there is a small gap around the outside between the false bottom and the kettle wall (I would estimate the diameter is 1/8'' to 1/4'' less than the pot). It seems likely some small particles of grain will flow around the outside of the bottom down to the wort collection below. I don't imagine it will be enough to clog the spigot, and I will vorlauf (hope that's the correct term), but I'm a little concerned about too much grain coming through so that I won't get clear wort. Anyone had this situation who can either suggest if it is likely to be a problem, or a solution to minimize it if it is?

If there is a gap, grain is going to get past it. It might be minor some days, or it might clog up your ball valve on other days.

You can probably address it by taking a piece of high-temp silicon hose and slicing it down one side. You can seat this around the edge of the false bottom as a sort of large gasket.

edit: I used to have a similar problem with my false bottom letting stuff get around the edges, and I used the sliced hose and it made a major difference.

Walker -

Funny you should suggest that. When I got the false bottom this morning, and saw the gap, I suggested to SWMBO that I do exactly what you suggest. I posted the question to see if anyone had actually tried this approach - glad to see someone has! I was a little concerned that the hose might become a haven for bacteria, but I would think if I clean and sanitize it right after use - it should be fine. Is that your experience, or did you continually replace it?

Walker -

Funny you should suggest that. When I got the false bottom this morning, and saw the gap, I suggested to SWMBO that I do exactly what you suggest. I posted the question to see if anyone had actually tried this approach - glad to see someone has! I was a little concerned that the hose might become a haven for bacteria, but I would think if I clean and sanitize it right after use - it should be fine. Is that your experience, or did you continually replace it?

I eventually stopped using it because I changed other things in my system and it became unnecessary, but when I was using it, I just cleaned it well after I was done and didn't replace it unless it became torn or something like that.

Wasn't worried about bacteria, because it's in the mash tun and everything that touched the hose was going to get boiled after I drained the MLT anyway. I cleaned it as well as I cleaned any "pre-boil" piece of equipment.

Does the FB sit on the floor of the kettle and is just not meeting up flush with the kettle wall?

It has SS flat bottomed "legs" that rest flush on the bottom of the kettle. The false bottom sits just above the spigot. The only gap is around the outer rim of the FB, very small, but not flush.

Back