False bottom, hop bags, or other system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spagyric

Reaction score
Hey all, right now I've got a brew kettle with a ball valve and a pickup tube that I bought from the brew store when I was getting started. The pickup tube was maybe half an inch off of the bottom of the pot and they attached a four or so inch mesh tube to the end of it, I'm assuming to filter out hops and trub when draining the brew pot. My problem is that the screen just clogs with trub and hops leaving a bunch of wort in the pot so i think I need to design a better system. Last time I brewed I took off the screen figuring I would get more trub in my fermentor but hoping I'd at least get all the wort. The tube clogged even sooner. I wound up just siphoning off some of the wort (my siphon clogged eventually too) and then pouring the rest through a sanitized strainer. I got a lot of trub in the beer, but I've also got probably a gallon more beer in the fermentor than in previous batches. I'm not worried about the trub or anything, but I'd like to figure out a better way of draining the wort for future batches.

So my question is if folks have any suggestions for improving my system. Hop bags have definitely crossed my mind but I'm concerned about utilization. I am also considering buying a false bottom for my brew kettle to see if that does a better job of filtering the hops from the wort. Anyway, I'm just curious what others think.

thanks,
Austin :mug:

What size is the pickup tube? Mine is 1/2" and I've never had problems with pellets. Whole leaf will cause you a problem though.

I never thought of that.:drunk:

It's narrow, maybe 1/4 inch. I've only used whole leaf hops. I've never tried pellets, maybe I should give them a shot, but whole leaf hops definitely appeal more to my sensibilities. I guess in the end I'd like my system to accommodate whole leaf. A fatter pickup tube might be a good start though. Do you have a screen or anything on yours?

I've been using a paint strainer bag on my last few brews and it works well. Just pull it out and drain at the end of the boil. You'll still have some hotbreak and stuff in there but nothing that should clog up.

As mentioned earlier,I believe whole hops to be the problem.If you want to continue using whole hops,a bazooka tee may be a good option.I use pellet hops,and use either hop socks or a strainer bag in conjunction with a false bottom.Its overkill,I know,but I added the false bottom as it was a gift.

Thanks for the tips. I'm starting to think a hop bag might be the way to go, it's certainly cheaper than a false bottom. I'm not worried about hot break, it always manages to sink to the bottom of the fermentor. Do you guys add any extra hops to compensate for utilization loss? I've heard that you lose maybe 10% when you use a hop bag, but that's not from a trusted source.

Thanks for the tips. I'm starting to think a hop bag might be the way to go, it's certainly cheaper than a false bottom. I'm not worried about hot break, it always manages to sink to the bottom of the fermentor. Do you guys add any extra hops to compensate for utilization loss? I've heard that you lose maybe 10% when you use a hop bag, but that's not from a trusted source.

check any of the "hop spider" diy threads. They work great at keeping that stuff contained and since so much of the bag is down in the boil it doesnt seem to affect utilization, imo.

I've heard that you lose maybe 10% when you use a hop bag, but that's not from a trusted source.

I think this is one of the things you'll have to learn on your own. Maybe you'll notice a difference, maybe not. Also, don't be afraid of the pellet hops. The big guys use them and use them well.

itsme6582 said:
I think this is one of the things you'll have to learn on your own. Maybe you'll notice a difference, maybe not. Also, don't be afraid of the pellet hops. The big guys use them and use them well.

Yeah, I realize the whole hops thing is mostly in my head. I guess in the end I just prefer that my system doesn't depend on one or the other. And as far as a loss in utilization goes, I'm just trying to see what others have experienced. I definitely appreciate all the feedback I've gotten. :mug:

I've done it all: Bazooka screen, false bottom, hop spider, and hop socks. I use a plate chiller so some filtration is required. My conclusion? I'm back to hop socks, whole or pellet, doesn't matter. It just works for me and they're cheap enough to toss every time.

My two cents.

curlyfat said:
I've done it all: Bazooka screen, false bottom, hop spider, and hop socks. I use a plate chiller so some filtration is required. My conclusion? I'm back to hop socks, whole or pellet, doesn't matter. It just works for me and they're cheap enough to toss every time.

My two cents.

I'm with ya. Plate chiller here too and hop bags since I got the chiller.

sorry to revive a dead thread - but I'm just about to get my first plate chiller, so this convo is very relevant to me!

What kind of bags do you guys use? Are you worried about food safeness of the bags? I'm paranoid about some of the bag breaking down in the long boil...

I've been using nylon grain bags for my hops since thus thread and they work well. I just get a big bag and add all of my hop additions in the same bag. The bags don't break down at all, and BPA isn't a concern with nylon either.

I bought those "5 gallon paint strainer bags" from Ace Hardware. They are about $5 for two, and you rinse them out and throw them in the laundry so they are reusable!

I use pellets so I don't have to worry about the tube getting clogged, but when I do use whole hops I use a bag.

On one batch I just threw the whole hops in the boil and everything stopped during the drain-out. Not doing that again. Big pain.

Forget the screen, just stick a stainless scrubby under the dip tube. Whole hops are not a problem other than getting a few pieces out of the scrubby during cleanup.

Back