False Bottom for Coleman Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am about to buy a Coleman 5gal beverage cooler to use as a mash tun. As I am all the way down in New Zealand we are somewhat limited to what we have access to.

I think I would prefer to go with a false bottom setup, rather than try to make a manifold, just for ease of simplicity. Can anyone recommend a good website that sells false bottoms to fit these cooler?

And could I get away with simply using a large grain bag (like the ones for BIAB) to line the cooler with?, this should have the same effect as using a false bottom or a manifold, right?

Hello NZ! If you are going to do 5-gal. batches or plan to in the future, I would suggest a 10-gal. cooler. Regardless, here is a pic of my real cheap FB. It is the lid off a large skillet that had a broken handle and was no longer used. The holes are 5/16" and 3/8" dia. and there are a lot of them. The screen is a nylon(I think) paint strainer bag. I have done 4 AG Batches with it so far. No problem at all and it is still the original paint strainer bag with no sign of wear. I just cinch the open end of the bag around the nipple of the valve with a plastic wire tie and cut it off after the brew to remove and clean.
GO ALL BLACKS!!!

10-2012 252.jpg

10-2012 255.jpg

10-2012 254.jpg

Back