False bottom and boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hi,
I finally got around to purchase a false bottom for my Polar Ware pot. Question: Do you put the false bottom in before yuo add everything or later? The reason why I am asking is a small note that came with the false bottom saying to be careful when putting the bottom in the pot not to disturb anything and "possibly change the taste of the beer."
I had just put it in and leave it there the entire time. I am not mashing in it either

I have no idea what that note was trying to tell you. It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps it is a reference to possibly gouging the sides of the kettle. Scratches and gouges would expose raw unpassivated metal to your wort possibly causing off flavors. I think that's a stretch, but maybe that was their intent.

The FB for the Polarware kettle is a close fit and you will understand the above after installing and removing it a few times. I wouldn't worry about that note at all and just take it easy when putting it in.

The FB is primarily intended for use in a mash tun. It also works well as a strainer in the boil kettle. It will hold back whole hops and some of the debris from pellet hops. A significant amount of the pellet hop debris will pass right through a false bottom, but it won't do any harm in your fermenter so you are good to go it seems.

Latest posts

Back