Faint oily sheen after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Reaction score
I'm just over 7 days into a kit, hit my target gravity range, and was racking over to secondary per instructions when I noticed an oily sheen on the surface of my wine. It isn't white (only noticeable if you catch the light perfectly) and there's still fermentation going on, but could this be the start of a mycoderma infection? Side note, the white spots are just CO2 bubbles from continued fermentation and CO2 offgassing after the transfer.

20160107_221212-66671.jpg

20160107_221058-66672.jpg

I'm hesitant to call it mycoderma because there's still active fermentation going on (and a nice CO2 blanket), I'm obsessive in my sanitizing, and it isn't white... but if I have to sulfite/rack/repitch to save the batch I gladly will.

I know to top off the carboy - the photos were from mid-racking when I noticed it. I stopped the transfer while there was still enough surface area to get a shot (airlock was just an extra precaution nothing got in during the photos).

Any idea what this could be or what my next steps should be?

Back