Failed Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlk126

Reaction score
Last Saturday (1/23) I brewed a batch of Scottish Export Ale. It was my first batch in over an year, and I had all the ingredients on hand but did not have any liquid yeast. I pitched a package of Nottingham dry yeast I had laying around (Exp. Date 9/2010) and followed activation directions according to the package and shook the carboy after pitching to oxygenate. I pitched at about 67 degrees F and temperature has been constant in the low 70s since then. As of 8:00 AM this morning there has still been no visible fermentation and I am wondering what to do next? The carboy has been sitting undisturbed in my pantry.

Any ideas what's going on here? I plan on picking up a vial of white labs before this weekend. If nothing is happening after a week in the carboy can I just pitch the White Labs in? I really don't want to lose this batch!

Nottingham had a recall on Lot #1081140118V for slow to no fermentation. I think the exp. date was different than yours. If no fermentation has happened then you can pitch without much worry. You can also try rousing it to see if that helps.

Back