Failed Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, I tried to brew my first homemade recipe last night and I think it might have been a fail. First off let me say, I did have a boil over I don't know if that would affect it our not. The beer color was supposed to turn out yellowish gold almost like the color of the background of the banner on this page and instead when I looked in my carboy this morning it looks more like a dark brown ale.

I did use ginger root and lime and orange peel in it. Other than that I really didn't use any dark grains, only .5 oz of Crystal 60L which is an Amber.

I'm also not seeing any fermentation? Its only been about 8 hours since I pitched the yeast though.

Any suggestions as to whats going on here?:confused:

8 hours is not a long time. 72 hours before activity is not uncommon so dont worry.

What kind of yeast? What temp did you pitch the yeast?

the beer looks much darker in the fermenter than it will in the glass. also if this was an extract batch then it may end up being a little darker anyway, it will still taste like its supposed to. if you lost much of your wort during the boil over then it could affect your SG, but it should still make perfectly good beer. during fermentation you are not always going to have visible signs (airlock bubbles, krausen, whatever) that doesn't mean its not working, use your hydrometer. lastly eight hours is too soon to start worrying. it can take more than a day or two sometimes before you notice any action. good luck, and don't worry!

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Don't look at your beer, don't even think about your beer for another month then bottle it....the yeast don't need you hovering over it any more. Your job is done til bottling day.

They never fail us if we get out a$$es out of their way.

Get another fermenter and make another batch of beer if you have to do something...but just leave it alone and everything will be fine.

I did. Fermentation was getting kind of crazy tho, so I had to set up a blow off. Now I'm going to RDWHAHB.

IME wort is always darker before ferm begins and is MUCH darker when viewing it in a large container ie carboy or bucket as opposed to a drinking glass

If you want a beer that looks like the background color you would be looking at something that is 100% pilsen or pilsen/wheat combo like a BW...mmm Berliner Weiss, damn, why am I stuck at work for 12 hours on the nicest weekend in the PNW this year when I have all that BW at home? Anyway, like others said its always darker when in quantity and before it clears. Wait for it to hit the glass to really get an idea of the final SRM.

Revvy, love the new pic! it's hilarious. All my extract beers were darker than anticipated, but still tasty. Bensiff: sorry you're stuck at work :( convinced SWMBO to go to Scuttlebutt and Schooner Exact today, all I had to do was pay her off with a couple hours at the Marysville outlet mall first!

Revvy, love the new pic! it's hilarious. All my extract beers were darker than anticipated, but still tasty. Bensiff: sorry you're stuck at work :( convinced SWMBO to go to Scuttlebutt and Schooner Exact today, all I had to do was pay her off with a couple hours at the Marysville outlet mall first!

Hmmm, outlet mall makes it almost not worth it. I noticed as I was leaving for work this morning that my wife went to Tacoma Boys yesterday and picked up a 750 of Westmalle and snuck it in the fridge for me for when I get home...that's good wifin'.

the beer looks much darker in the fermenter than it will in the glass. also if this was an extract batch then it may end up being a little darker anyway, it will still taste like its supposed to. if you lost much of your wort during the boil over then it could affect your SG, but it should still make perfectly good beer. during fermentation you are not always going to have visible signs (airlock bubbles, krausen, whatever) that doesn't mean its not working, use your hydrometer. lastly eight hours is too soon to start worrying. it can take more than a day or two sometimes before you notice any action. good luck, and don't worry!

A boil over wouldn't affect your SG.... it would affect your volume.

if you were topping off to five gallons it would. guess i should have put that

Back