Fact or fiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew30

Reaction score
I'm putting together my new keggle and I'm heard from somewhere you should use brass fittings on a stainless kettle fact or fiction ?

i am not sure about the question, but i have heard there is some amount of lead in modern brass.if it was me i would use ss.

My personal opinion, you should use like metals together to avoid galvanic corrosion, but in this type of hobby, that's really not a concern. You could absolutely use a brass fitting, but no rule that says you HAVE to. At least I've never heard of any such thing in my 5 years of brewing. Is it true that there is some surface lead on brass fittings? Yes. This is true. But think about how much surface area in a valve actually contacts the beer. It's minute. But if it makes you feel better, by all means, do a search for how to pickle brass. That process will remove the surface lead from the brass.

I thought stainless or copper was the preferred way to go.

I am building my keggle now and have used a stainless steel bulkhead, valve and nipple. I am fairly sure that I will be ordering Bobby M's stainless dip tube as well.

I thought stainless or copper was the preferred way to go.

I am building my keggle now and have used a stainless steel bulkhead, valve and nipple. I am fairly sure that I will be ordering Bobby M's stainless dip tube as well.

Stainless is certainly the preferred way to go because of it's resistance to corrosion. Also, if you're planning on welding a fitting to a SS pot or keg, you need to use the same type of SS fitting. If you're going weldless, then it matters less. There have been some misunderstandings and/or over-reactions to using copper or brass in a brew kettle. There are some that even suggest throwing a small piece of copper tube (cleaned of course!) into your boil because the wort will dissolve small amounts of the metal into solution and ultimately provide some yeast nutrient. SS is more suited for a dip tube because it is a stronger metal and will withstand the abuse it will ultimately take sitting in the bottom of your kettle.

You can't go wrong with ordering from Bobby M. He's a cool, trustworthy, and knowledgable dude.

Actually you can get at the hardware stores and the big box stores "lead free" brass. Which is what I use on mash tun and boil kettle and my HLT. Along with copper pipe. I do not worry about galvanic corrosion of differing metals because they do not touch as they are separated by high temp food grade nylon seals. Further I disassemble it all after each brew to clean and dry and only re-assemble just prior to brewing. I would not solder or weld unlike metals.

In California the only brass products that are allowed to be sold are lead free or lead in such low quantities that it will not effect water quality. There is a ban on lead in plumbing products in California so if you do use brass, make sure you use something that is legal in Cali and that way you dont have any excess lead in your beers slowly poisoning you. Otherwise, spend the money and and go stainless steel.

Back