Extremely hot in Ottawa, Ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreBourbon

Reaction score
It's been extremely warm here this week and I have 4 batches brewing. 3 of them are in tubs in water wrapped in towels with a reading of 23°. My Cooper's kit was at 27°today so I decided to hurry up and bottle it. It was done but I was gonna leave it a few more days cause I added some hops 4 days ago but I didn't want it to remain in this heat. Any chance it can be saved?

From what I have read temp control is the most important during the first few days of fermentation when the yeast are most active. It seems like the suggestion is actually to raise the temp of the beer as fermentation finishes (around a week or two) to help with any remaining attenuation. Given that, if the beer was pretty much done fermenting the heat probably didn't do anything bad to it assuming it started it's fermentation cooler.

-- Nathan

That's what I thought. The 1st three days are the most important I guess? I'm a newbie so everything is panic mode. Lol. Thanks guys.

If there is still fermentation going on I would say high temps will likely lead to off flavours. If you already reached FG or close to it and you were just leaving it to condition then I think it could be OK.

Next time, throw some ice jugs in that water tub.

Anything to get the temp down.

I love how lower 80's is described as extremely hot in Ottawa:p

75F is more than fine especially at the end of the fermentation, 80 is a little too hot

Well actually it was 27° in my basement and 40° outside so that's 104F? When working outside its a little warm..also it drops to -35 in the winter.

Back