Extremely Astringent BIAB IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkommen

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to home brewing, but have done a few 5 gallon extract batches. All were extract kits from northern brewer, fermented at room temp of ~70 F. They all turned out pretty decent. I recently wanted to try making the switch to all-grain by trying a couple 1 gallon BIAB IPAs. The recipe for both brews was

2.3 lb pale 2-row
0.1 lb munich 10L
0.1 lb crystal 120L
0.2 oz centennial (9% AA) @60
0.2 oz centennial @20
0.2 oz centennial @5
0.2 oz dry hop for 3 days
75% efficiency

For both brews I mashed in 1 gallon of water for 60 minutes, and sparged with 1 gallon (initial temp of 175 F) for 5 minutes. In both mash cases, the temp fell to low 140s when I added the grain because the strike water wasn't hot enough, so I had to turn the electric burner up on the stove to bring the temp up to low 150s several times over the 60 minutes.

Everything else went according to plan over the boil. In both cases I pitched half a packet of rehydrated dry yeast (about 5 grams), and fermented at room temperature of ~70 F. The two batches were left to ferment for about 12 days. During bottling, the bottling wand got clogged after the first couple of bottles, so I filled directly from the bottling bucket spigot into the remaining ones.

It's been a week since bottling, and I tried one from each batch. It turns out they're both *extremely* bitter and astringent. Like undrinkably astringent. Weirdly enough, though, the beer smelled good during bottling and actually tasted pretty good from the little bit that I tried at that time.

Does anyone have any idea of where the heck this is coming from? I'm not doing any water adjustments, but still, they should at least turn out reasonably well regardless I would guess. Cleaning and sanitation are good, and there is no sign of infection. Is it coming from uneven temperature distribution when heating during the mash? Bad hops? Oxygen getting into the beer during bottling? I know fermentation is a bit on the warm side, but it's never made a huge problem for the extract brews.

I actually brewed a partial mash Oktoberfest-style beer a while back in which I *didn't* adjust the burner temp during the mash, and there was no astringency. In that case, though, the ingredients came from northern brewer, the IBU level was only ~10, there was extract involved, and I did use a bottling wand, so not a great comparison.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Until I started adjusting my ph religiously I had bad astrigincy/bitterness. That being said I use a 3 vessel setup and flysparge but I imagine it still applies

I had a batch come out super bitter/astringent recently, but it was a low OG/session IPA and I drastically underestimated the IBU addition you get from whirlpool hops. Doesn't look like that's anything like the case for you.

I get ~75 IBU from your recipe in Beersmith, which is on the high side but not outrageous for a 7% IPA.

pH is a possible culprit, as is water chemistry overall. Is it possible your hop additions weren't weighed correctly? Down around 0.2oz, scales can be very inexact, and in a 1gal batch it can make a big difference. I got a jewelry scale that can resolve down to 0.1g for this reason.

Hi guys. I'm fairly new to home brewing, but have done a few 5 gallon extract batches. All were extract kits from northern brewer, fermented at room temp of ~70 F. They all turned out pretty decent. I recently wanted to try making the switch to all-grain by trying a couple 1 gallon BIAB IPAs. The recipe for both brews was

2.3 lb pale 2-row
0.1 lb munich 10L
0.1 lb crystal 120L
0.2 oz centennial (9% AA) @60
0.2 oz centennial @20
0.2 oz centennial @5
0.2 oz dry hop for 3 days
75% efficiency

For both brews I mashed in 1 gallon of water for 60 minutes, and sparged with 1 gallon (initial temp of 175 F) for 5 minutes. In both mash cases, the temp fell to low 140s when I added the grain because the strike water wasn't hot enough, so I had to turn the electric burner up on the stove to bring the temp up to low 150s several times over the 60 minutes.

Everything else went according to plan over the boil. In both cases I pitched half a packet of rehydrated dry yeast (about 5 grams), and fermented at room temperature of ~70 F. The two batches were left to ferment for about 12 days. During bottling, the bottling wand got clogged after the first couple of bottles, so I filled directly from the bottling bucket spigot into the remaining ones.

It's been a week since bottling, and I tried one from each batch. It turns out they're both *extremely* bitter and astringent. Like undrinkably astringent. Weirdly enough, though, the beer smelled good during bottling and actually tasted pretty good from the little bit that I tried at that time.

Does anyone have any idea of where the heck this is coming from? I'm not doing any water adjustments, but still, they should at least turn out reasonably well regardless I would guess. Cleaning and sanitation are good, and there is no sign of infection. Is it coming from uneven temperature distribution when heating during the mash? Bad hops? Oxygen getting into the beer during bottling? I know fermentation is a bit on the warm side, but it's never made a huge problem for the extract brews.

I actually brewed a partial mash Oktoberfest-style beer a while back in which I *didn't* adjust the burner temp during the mash, and there was no astringency. In that case, though, the ingredients came from northern brewer, the IBU level was only ~10, there was extract involved, and I did use a bottling wand, so not a great comparison.

Any help is much appreciated.

At one week you still have a bunch of yeast in suspension and those hops that were clogging your bottling wand....yes, they are in suspension too and they will taste terrible. Leave this beer in the bottles for another 3 weeks and then pour very carefully, making sure not to get any of the sediment into your glass.

I agree with RM-MN, but wanted to add when it is time to test one, leave the bottle in the fridge for at least a couple days before pouring. The cold will help all of the stuff in suspension drop out and compact as well.

Could be the Centennial. Every time I brew the Bells 2 Hearted clone I get an astringency for the first 3-4 week’s in the keg. It like your recipe has several boil additions of centennial with a dry hop. After that it develops into an excellent beer. I just brewed this again and at 3 week’s I still have some astringency. FWIW, I adjusted my ph and added some gypsum and cacl to Ro water.

Latest posts

Back