Extreme Lager Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thart02

Reaction score
I've been searching for a yeast that can tolerate very low temperatures, say 42-38 F. Is that possible; does any company sell a strain like that?

I'm not disagreeing with Denny, but check this thread out. He starts off at about 39, but he does finish at 48. I'm not sure how much activity he'd be getting at the lower temps, I think 42 is too low.

My beer refrigerator holds at about 40ish on the coldest setting and I'd Like to make a lager without changing it. I've made lagers before by cranking it up to 55ish but then it can't be used for storing store purchased beer. Granted some porters drink better at warmer temps but I like pale ales, ipa's, and lagers on the colder side. So basically i'd like it just for the convenience factor.

I fermented my one and only lager at 39-40 degrees. It was awesome. I got the yeast from a local brewery so I do not know what strain. It took forever to ferment, like 5-6 weeks.

Go Sox,
cds

Hmm, I can't think of any yeast that is advertised as being able to do that. I would suggest you do a little experimentation

A reasonable way to find out if a yeast strain is going to do anything would be to use a simple syrup and yeast nutrient solution in something like a 2 quart bottle. Stick several of these with known gravities and different yeast strains in your fridge. Give it a couple weeks, I would expect fermentaiton to be be slower at low temps, then pull samples and recheck the gravity.

I honestly don't think your going to get much with an ale or lager yeast. Maybe one of the more oddball yeast will do something. You might even want to give one of wyeast's lambics a try. I would think what the yeast produces chemically that cold would be somewhat different as what it's going to do when it's warmer. I would also expect the yeasts reproduction rate to be really low, so a higher pitch rate is likely in order.

If you do decided to do the experiment, or find more information that's relevant, it would be interesting to know what you find out.

If your ambient fridge temp is 40, your active fermentation temperature should be a bit warmer--enough for the yeast to work. Find the lager yeast that is appropriate for style with the lowest listed bottom-end temperature range, and pitch scads of it and you should be okay. Personally, if I wanted to try this I would be looking to chill my wort down to about 48, pitch three packs of W-34/70 rehydrated (for 5.5. gallons), aerate the hell out of it, then put into your fridge. I've had 34/70 work under 45.

Keep a close eye on it. When the krausen falls it's time for your d-rest. Given how far you are pushing the envelope you want fermentation to finish off strong--once it hits 1.020 (presuming you are talking about a normal-ish OG) take it out of the fridge and leave at room temp for a week.

Alternate solution would be to get a warming belt or heating pad for your fermenter - that way you could keep your fridge cold and still ferment in the normal range.

Latest posts

Back