Extreme Blowoff (with pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyBrewer

Reaction score
So it finally happened! I was brewing my fourth batch (a high gravity irish stout) when I found this:

blowoff1.jpg

The lid was ~10 feet away from the bucket on the other side of the living room. Anyway, here's my question. I sanitized the lid and resealed the bucket, but the krausen is still expanding. I don't have any blowoff tubing and I don't feel like running out for any until tomorrow. So I am planning to leave the beer in the bathtub like this. Am I begging for an infection?

blowoff2.jpg

I just wish I had video of the explosion. When I got home, the krausen was expanding so fast it could watch it slowly drip over the side of the bucket.

I think I might have to repaint my walls after this though...

Wait, you were fermenting this in your living room? DAYUM! I'd have to do a quick scrotal check if I did that because SWMBO would probably have my yarbles hanging from front porch light.

Wait, you were fermenting this in your living room? DAYUM! I'd have to do a quick scrotal check if I did that because SWMBO would probably have my yarbles hanging from front porch light.

Apartment living - not many other places to put it, and this spot in this room has the most stable temperature.

If it had never exploded everything would have worked out fine!

heres some video i took shortly after i got home from work. Look at that f*ing Krausen!

Edit: Never mind - I guess I can't upload video here.

with that thick later on top you should be fine. there's nothing that is getting through that layer. there's so much carbon dioxide that is pushing all the bad stuff out right now

I keep hearing about breweries that use open fermentors and they don't have a problem.

I would just let it ride

with that thick later on top you should be fine. there's nothing that is getting through that layer. there's so much carbon dioxide that is pushing all the bad stuff out right now

I keep hearing about breweries that use open fermentors and they don't have a problem.

I would just let it ride

Yeah - I mean, I'm definitely not throwing it out or anything. Just hoping for a little reassurance that everythings going to turn out ok. This batch cost like 70 dollars!

Yeah - I mean, I'm definitely not throwing it out or anything. Just hoping for a little reassurance that everythings going to turn out ok. This batch cost like 70 dollars!

Better add a couple $$ more to that bill. Paint isn't cheap and Mr. Clean erasers can only do so much.

I'm just ribbin' ya man. I really do hate that it happened.

I have 2 freezers, all my brew equipment, 350 lbs of grain, few cases of bottles, 5 carboys, yeast mini fridge, and a partridge in a pear tree in my girlfriends dining room which is now a converted brew storage/fermenting space...

:rockin:

I have 2 freezers, all my brew equipment, 350 lbs of grain, few cases of bottles, 5 carboys, yeast mini fridge, and a partridge in a pear tree in my girlfriends dining room which is now a converted brew storage/fermenting space...

:rockin:

I hate you. Better hold to her lest she claim your stuff in a bad breakup.

At least your fermentation didn't stop. A lot of times with a blowoff like that all the active yeast on the top is blown out and fermentation will stall. I just had a fermenter bomb with my imperial pumpkin a few weeks ago. Hadn't had one in a long time.

I hate you. Better hold to her lest she claim your stuff in a bad breakup.

I dont take it for granted...especially after seeing all the comments on here about unsupportive significant others.

She loves IPA's, the more bitter the better. So as long as I keep half(or more) of my taps full of IPA's shes a happy camper.

i dont take it for granted...especially after seeing all the comments on here about unsupportive significant others.

She loves ipa's, the more bitter the better. So as long as i keep half(or more) of my taps full of ipa's shes a happy camper.

marry her

Latest posts

Back