Extract to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the extract recipe

Attachments

• 20220209_053906.jpg
    20220209_053906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220209_053856.jpg
    20220209_053856.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
One of the best parts of this thread is that it was suggested (and agreed to by many more) that it's best to start with some tried and true all grain recipes because conversions and seat of the pants recipe creation is an advanced move. Then the OP made grave mistakes in the conversion.

26% crystal is about 20% too much. This only ferments about half as much as other grain types.
5% maltodextrin (not fermentable at all).

The real issue is the yeast. Without knowing what the package date was on it, I can say that you underpitched by at LEAST 4 packs. If the pack was just 2 months old, you underpitched by 7 packs. Your pack may have even been older. It sounds crazy in those terms but it's true. Using dry yeast, a 1.090 ale would call for THREE 11.5 gram packs but you could get away with 2.

If you really want to keep using liquid yeast, it's best to make starters to save money. For example, you could pitch TWO packs of 2 month old yeast into a 2 liter starter and end up with the same cell count as 8 packs.

I have that book. It is pretty good, too, except the author assumes that the reader will have a way of keeping his fermentation temperature down to the upper 60's at most. Myself, I don't use any chilling system and I ferment at room temp, around 72 degrees, and big beer fermenting temps often reach into the high 70's during the most vigorous part of the process. Most beginners likewise will not have a way to keep the fermenting beer cold. Someone really should write a similar book with room temperature fermenting in mind. Yeah I know, that would mean no true lagers but ales are something else. I kind of rock my own recipes and I don't care about winning prizes or conforming to a style, but I know a lot of brewers enjoy all that.

This is ridiculous. The author assumes you want to make the best beer possible. There is no way to advise someone how to violate best practices and get away with it. The temperatures listed will yield the best results. The amount of yeast suggested yields best results. The mash temperatures listed yields best results.

I suppose a caveat could have been written out that says something like "the fermentation temperatures listed will give you best results. If you wish to ferment 10F hotter, that's your prerogative but don't complain about the book if the beer sucks". That same thing could be said for ignoring any other prescription in the book.

I don't know why everyone thinks this was my first all grain brew. I've been hom brewing for 9 years now and half that would be all grain brewing. I just got tired of making someone else's beer and wanted to make my own. I made this extract recipe years ago it's the one beer that all my friends and family always asks of I have some of it. I just didn't want to do it as an extract any more and bring it all grain and maybe make it better in the process. I see where I went wrong now with it I want with that much crystal 60 because both the light and dark extract have it in them. I'll cut it back and make changes all part of brewing.

I don't know why everyone thinks this was my first all grain brew. I've been hom brewing for 9 years now and half that would be all grain brewing. I just got tired of making someone else's beer and wanted to make my own. I made this extract recipe years ago it's the one beer that all my friends and family always asks of I have some of it. I just didn't want to do it as an extract any more and bring it all grain and maybe make it better in the process. I see where I went wrong now with it I want with that much crystal 60 because both the light and dark extract have it in them. I'll cut it back and make changes all part of brewing.

Good lessons can be learned from mistakes. Sometimes they are happy accidents, sometimes not :D

If you post the original recipe, I'm sure people will be willing to help with converting it.

Good lessons can be learned from mistakes. Sometimes they are happy accidents, sometimes not :D

If you post the original recipe, I'm sure people will be willing to help with converting it.
I have them both in here now

I just didn't want to do it as an extract any more and bring it all grain

Assuming 75% mash efficiency (and assuming my math is accurate), these substitutions should be a good starting point:
  • For each pound of "Golden Light" DME, substitute 1.63 lbs two row base malt
  • For each pound of "Traditional Dark" DME, substitute
    • 0.88 lbs Munch 10L
    • 0.49 lbs Two Row
    • 0.21 lbs Crystal 60L
    • 0.05 lbs Black malt

One of the best parts of this thread is that it was suggested (and agreed to by many more) that it's best to start with some tried and true all grain recipes because conversions and seat of the pants recipe creation is an advanced move.

Or one could focus on the initial question (how to convert a recipe from extract to all grain), then over the duration of the topic, take turns provides the necessary information to get a converted recipe that's been reviewed.

We're almost there @Katfeesh.

Let me know if I can help.

Or one could focus on the initial question (how to convert a recipe from extract to all grain), then over the duration of the topic, take turns provides the necessary information to get a converted recipe that's been reviewed.

We're almost there @Katfeesh.
…which I did in #43. The grain bill I posted is for an “imperial” porter, which is what I assumed the OP was after, since his recipes above were for a 9ish% beer. Adjust base malts up or down in my recipe to achieve desired ABV, use the hops of your choice to get 30-40 IBUs and dose with enough yeast of your choice to finish the job. Add whatever flavorings at the appropriate time if desired and you’re golden. I’m not trying to convert the ingredients of the DME listed, just providing a decent porter recipe.

Back in #43, I saw a range for the base malt (13-15 pounds).

If OP desires, they can use the info in #49 to narrow the range.

The choice is theirs to make.
Fair enough. I see yours is probably a more exact conversion for the DME. Even I’ve been brewing for a long time and don’t normally write my own recipes from scratch. I either steal the ingredients lists from MoreBeer or other online supply companies who publish their kit ingredients and tweak them a little or I find half a dozen or so recipes of a style I want to make, look for common ingredients, discard some of the off-the-wall stuff or things that aren’t really appropriate for the style and then morph them into my own design. I still keep in mind all the appropriate percentages or amounts of all the specialty grains.

I have them both in here now

I see the pictures, but there's other scribbles on there, too. Can you type it out so that it's easy to look at and understand? I see stuff like Flaked oats 1lb = .25, which is confusing.

With at least OG/FG/IBU, volume after boil and volume in fermenter (specify kettle losses and top up water, if any); and then the fermentables, with schedule if there are late additions, and then the hop schedule.

I don't know why everyone thinks this was my first all grain brew. I've been hom brewing for 9 years now and half that would be all grain brewing.

I hope you weren't too insulted there but the original question and subsequent recipe came across as all grain noobish. If that assumption was correct, I think the advice to stay away from conversions would have been sound. My mistake.

Aside from the conversion advice already given that answers your question directly, one other resource that should help is that most maltsters list the usage percentage for each of their grains which acts as a last sanity check that you're not overdoing something.

I also hope you take my advice on yeast pitch rates.

Ok so I been messing with the recipe I think I might have something now.

I hope you weren't too insulted there but the original question and subsequent recipe came across as all grain noobish. If that assumption was correct, I think the advice to stay away from conversions would have been sound. My mistake.
No I wasn't insulted. I guess in a sense I am kinda of a noob this extract recipe is the only recipe I ever made I always brew others recipes I just didnt want to start a square 1 making a new one. But with all the help I've gotten with this I think I will start trying to change and make recipes now more often.

It appears the topic has changed from "extract to all grain" to "can some one review this recipe?". I do not have an opinion on the recipe in #58; but I'll continue to watch the thread in case it goes back to "extract to all grain".

It appears the topic has changed from "extract to all grain" to "can some one review this recipe?". I do not have an opinion on the recipe in #58; but I'll continue to watch the thread in case it goes back to "extract to all grain".
I appreciate your help in this it was the breakdown you posted in #49 that got me to an all grain recipe to try again.

Latest posts

Back