Cream Ale Extract - Simple Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoggyWood

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
see below
golden/straw color, malty flavors of fresh bread, light hoppy spice and fruitiness, balanced bitterness, crisp, bright finish. Drinkability thru the roof.

I have burned through more kegs of this (and received more compliments) on this recipe than on any other beer I have ever made. This will be one of the easier, quicker, and cheaper brew days you will have and the results will not disappoint. This will please all variety of beer drinkers.

6 lb. Briess Pilsen DME
1 oz. Liberty (4%aa) @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Liberty (4%aa) @ 1 minute
1 pk. WLP 001 / US-05 / WY1056

Ferment at 68*F for 2 weeks. Keg/bottle to 2.5 volumes. Drink fresh and often. Enjoy.

It's just as simple as that. I’ve brewed this with US-05 and WLP001 and both will turn out a great beer. I haven’t used WY1056 but I am sure it would accomplish the same clean character.

Liberty hops would never have crossed my mind until I found the Cream Ale recipe in “brewing classic styles” (this recipe is certainly inspired by it) and tried them. I think they work perfectly in this recipe. You could of course sub in any noble hop and make a great beer.

Cheers!

Thought i would share a picture of the most recent batch.

This picture is 16 days after brew day before keg fining. I will typically fine with gelatin and it drops crystal clear. Love this beer fresh. :mug:

Stupid question, but how much water are you starting out with? 6.5g?

And yes, I'm about 8 months late to the party...

It just depends. If youre brewing on stove top you can just add some top up water and turn out a great beer. Full wort boil with extract for me is typically about 6-6.5 gallons and that boils down to about 5-5.25 which goes into the fermenter.

Don't quote me but a boil off rate of about 10-15% is ideal. My rule of thumb is look for good turnover in your kettle but wort should not be exploding out. I brew with extracts a lot and try to treat them gently as they've already been boiled once!

Prost!

I might cut this recipe in half and give it a go. I don't always have time to dedicate an all grain day for my 2.5 gallon keg but gotta keep the pipeline going. Can't go wrong with a cream ale.

Anybody try this recipe in the last 3 years? Sounds delicious.

Just an uninitiated beer noob here, waiting for some free time, to brew my LHBS's Cream Ale kit I bought 2 weeks ago.

I'm going to brew this one next. My local brewing supply house doesn't have Liberty hops, so I'm planning on substituting Mosaic hops.

I'm going to brew this one next. My local brewing supply house doesn't have Liberty hops, so I'm planning on substituting Mosaic hops.
I bottled my batch today, and it seems like Mosaic came through a little bold. I'm sure flavors will change after bottle conditioning for a few weeks at which time I'll leave another note. Abv came in at 5.6%.

The hops calmed down and have a slight citrus orange like taste that is nice! My wife seems to like it and couldn't have been any more simple. Good head on the beer and lace too.

Latest posts

Back