Extract Kolsch Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
I'm planning on making the Northern Brewer Kolsch <http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/kolsch-extract-kit.html> kit in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions:

1) Should I add a specialty grain to the kit? I was thinking 12oz of CaraPils. How much of a difference will the specialty grain make?

2) We are in the process of moving to a new house and I'm not sure whether I will be able to hit the 60 degree temperature goal for the Wyeast Kolsch liquid yeast. How much am I sacrificing by going with the dry Saf-Ale 05 yeast at normal ale temperatures?

Thanks for the help.

1) color, a flavor, and head retention. Go for it and experiment. Though in an extract kit i don't expect it to change a whole lot.

2) Kolsch style is pretty yeast specific, and a style of beer that is strictly defined. Technically it's not even a Kolsch if it isn't produced in cologne, Germany (much like champagne). look on Wikipedia, search Kolsch, it lists all the requirements from the Cologne Brewers Association.

Carapils should add almost no flavor or color but it will aid in head retention. If you want more color and flavor, decide what flavor you want and play around with software to see how much of it to steep to get the color you want. For instance, C 20 will give your beer a caramelly flavor but won't darken very much. C 60 would still be a caramel flavor but much darker. Either of these will put your Kolsch out of style.

Midwest's kit uses Caramel and Munich grains on top of the Pilsen LME. If you don't use the Kolsch liquid yeast, you really aren't making Kolsch.

I brewed the NB Kolsch with Wyeast Kolsch liquid yeast last spring. I'm brewing 2 batches the day before st. patty's day with my brother.

Yep, its that good. Older brother wants a half batch for himself. Both brothers I asked and my dad all wanted it brewed again for our summer camping trip. Apparently it was a big hit :)

Buy the kit, with Wyeast Kolsch liquid yeast. Brew it per directions. Be patient. Enjoy! :) Its a good, solid Kolsch. Maybe not quite as good as the Reissdorf Kolsch that made me fall in love with the style, but its close, and far cheaper.

Back