Extract Imperial IPA recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecobb

Reaction score
I've modified and extract kit I bought from NB what do you think? I want a super hoppy citrusy IPA.

8 oz Briess Caramel 10 for steep to 165

1 lb Cornsugar 60 min
3.15 lbs Gold LME 10 min
6 lbs Gold LME Flameout

1 oz Summit (60 minutes)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
1 oz Citra (10)
1 oz Citra (5 min)
1 oz Cascade (0 min)
1 oz Citra (O min)
1 Tbsp yeast nutrient

Whirlpool/hop stand for 20 min
Use a filter while transferring to carboy
Add top off water and shake the crap out of it for about 3 minutes
2 packs of re-hydrated S05
Ferment at 64 for the first 4 days and then raise it up to 68 by day 6
Add 1lb of boiled and cooled corn sugar after krausen starts to fall
1 oz Cascade + 1 oz citra (Dry Hop) for 5 days prior to bottling

Any recommendations?

If your looking for a grapefruit floral Hoppiness your certainly going to get it will all that citra..

Can you explain the 1lb of boil and cooled corn sugar after the Krause falls back in?

The hopstand after flame out will provide substantial increases in your hop taste and aroma, with isomerization around 10%. That is a good start. not sure what ibu you are going for but it's looking to be a very bitter beer as well. If holly and citrus is what you want dial back your "standout" hops more towards flame out or add 3 to 4 Oz for a hopstand to really set the hoppy tone.

I've done it before on higher abv brews. I've heard it helps to not stress the yeast as much. I used this technique on an imperial stout and it turned out to be my best beer. This reasoning could be complete bull but it worked for me..

So something like this for a bit less bitterness but more wonderful hoppy arouma/flavor
1 oz Summit (60 minutes)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1/2 oz Citra (10)
1 oz Cascade (5 min)
1/2 oz Citra (5 min)
1 oz Cascade (0 min)
2 oz Citra (O min)

Back