Extract + Grains + Hops ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyy

Reaction score
Hi would like some help making a IPA! I'm going to use a muttons IPA extract with some help on choosing a type of grain to add and hops to!
I like it really hoppy and strong alcohol content is a must. Cheers

Munton's IPA extract is pre-hopped so you don't want to add too much more hops, if any at all. All you do is add the extract to the boil and boil it for about 15min. or so.

I'm not sure about the grain.

Here is my house IPA Excommunication Pale Ale (for the 66.6IBU's)
Technically an American IPA has a high IBU/GU ratio that makes it seem more bitter. Love the Warrior have done the same hop schedule with only Warrior just adjusted to get the same IBUs with great success.

If your extract is prehopped id check the maltsters website and see if it tell what the hop schedule and than adjust accordingly.

I use Brew Target to develop recipes. The programmer is here on the boards and the down load if free.

Good Luck

Chris

Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr Efficiency 75%
OG 1.052 FG 1.013
ABV 5.1% Bitterness 66.6 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 10 SRM (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 172

Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 7.500 lb
Victory Malt Grain 16.000 oz L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 8.000 oz
Turbinado Sugar 16.000 oz

Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU

Cascade 6% 0.500 oz First Wort 1.167 hr
Warrior 17% 1.000 oz Boil 1.167 hr
Cascade 6% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min
Cascade 6% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 min

@Dirty Do you think he has AG capabilities if he is asking about pre-hopped extract?

@Andyy I would use DME if you are looking to design your own extract recipe. Look in the IPA recipe section and there are plenty of good extract IPA recipes. I would stay away from pre-hopped LME.

Yes AG isnt that hard it's that I dont have the time to steep grains and alsothe fact that the ones I want arnt readly available (is there a place in western Australia I can buy from), it's way to easy and consistent when using an extract! I also having trouble getting the desired hops I want (mainly Columbus) currently using amirillo and fugues apart from substituting to the common. If muntons is pre hopped it must be fairly mellow.

Gave the recipe mostly for the hop schedule. He can adjust the AG to minimash/full extract as he wishes

Back