Extract brewer, first time steeping malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I'm gearing up for my second beer. My first was all extract. For my next one, I am doing primarily extract again, but including some honey malt in the grain bill. I have some silly questions. I need to steep the honey malt at 160 for 20 minutes.

Is my best course of action to just throw the malt in a grain bag, fill up my kettle with water like I normally do, bring it up to 160. Then throw in the grain bag, hold temps at 160 for 20 minutes, then pull it out? Then at that point I crank the heat to boil it and carry on with my extract additions like business as usual? Just want to make sure I am going about this correctly since I haven't steeped a malt before. Thanks.

Any steeping grains I do just that, I bring the water to 155-160 range, put the bag in and let it steep. While it is doing that I get everything else ready for the brew. :mug: I would caution about honey malt, a little goes a long way. I use no more than a quarter pound at most.

Any steeping grains I do just that, I bring the water to 155-160 range, put the bag in and let it steep. While it is doing that I get everything else ready for the brew. :mug: I would caution about honey malt, a little goes a long way. I use no more than a quarter pound at most.
I was planning on using a half pound. Values look fine in the calculator...

Here is a link to a you tube video for a full boil extract with specialty grain. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqS6b_k9fmA[/ame]
One of many on the web hope this helps. Next thing you will be moving to all grain. LOL
Enjoy the process and the finish product......

I'm gearing up for my second beer. My first was all extract. For my next one, I am doing primarily extract again, but including some honey malt in the grain bill. I have some silly questions. I need to steep the honey malt at 160 for 20 minutes.

Is my best course of action to just throw the malt in a grain bag, fill up my kettle with water like I normally do, bring it up to 160. Then throw in the grain bag, hold temps at 160 for 20 minutes, then pull it out? Then at that point I crank the heat to boil it and carry on with my extract additions like business as usual? Just want to make sure I am going about this correctly since I haven't steeped a malt before. Thanks.

You can also drop the grain bag into the cold water and bring the heat up. Results will be the same in the same time frame. Stir the grain bag at the beginning to break up any dough balls.

Latest posts

Back