Extract Best Practices for AG Brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been an all-grain brewer for a while now, but recently whipped up an partial-volume, hopped-extract-with-flameout-addition batch for a hop aroma experiment my homebrew club is doing. I haven't tasted it yet, but the brew evening was short and it was nice to "commit beer" with so little time investment. Made me think about firing off the occasional quickie extract batch from now on. :ban:

My last extract and partial-mash batches before this were pretty sad ones, though, and I'm very interested to figure out why. I know there are lots of award-winning extract beers every year, so I wanted to figure out where I've been going wrong.

My equipment: 10, 5 and 4 gal pots, 10 gal cylindrical mash tun, fermentation fridge with temp controller (gotta have one to brew year-round in Alabama), 2-keg kegerator. I have gadgets running from refractometer to stir plate to pH test strips. I brew on an electric stove with a heat stick, and that gets my temps up in decent time.

I can generally measure or test whatever I need to to ensure good AG performance, so it really just remains to be seen what I need to fix for my extracts.

My method has generally been to use DME instead of LME for freshness whenever possible, do a steep with specialty grains where needed, do full-volume boils for hop utilization, and add at least some extract late to avoid excess caramelization.

Process failures with extract probably include: carelessness with fermentation temperature (my ferm fridge is pretty new, and my extract attempts have largely been in the summer); post-ferment oxidation issues (most of my older extract batches got bottled, mainly because they were "extra" batches while kegs were full); general neglect ("hell, it's only an extract batch, I can bottle/keg/rack later or use my gnarlier hose because the good one is under some stuff"). No excuse really, other than failure to think about it. Beer needs love too, this I know. :cross:

My extract batches generally taste overly sweet, green (unfinished), "flat" (not undercarbed, just uninteresting) or (possibly) oxidized. I know extract wort generally doesn't ferment as dry as AG wort; what can be done there other than throwing it in a mash?

What else should I be doing? I love the AG process, but there are times I'd like to be able to throw together a crisp simple pale ale or its like without a 6-hour commitment.

-Rich

You need to follow good brewing practices whether its AG or extract. That will fix 90% of those issues. Use DME unless you know your brewshop moves enough LME to keep it fresh. Add most of the extract late. Hop like you would normally - not what some random kit says.

Fermentability is the only inherent issue. You can use higher attenuating yeast. Sub out a little extract for a simple sugar. Or bitter to higher levels to offset the higher FG. Or some combination of those. Of course, some styles lend themselves more readily to that than others.

+1 to what billl said. I’d say start with enough extract for a starting boil gravity of about 1.040, with the rest at flameout. I often add 12 oz of cane sugar at flameout for a 5 gallon batch. Let it sit about 15 minutes to pasteurize (or longer if you’re doing a hop stand).

I like the idea of adding sugar or using a more attenuative yeast to dry the beer out.

And yeah, I've definitely realized that there's nothing magical or "training wheels" about extract: neglect the beer, you get lousy beer.

-Rich

Use a tad more bittering with LME, as in my experiences DME finishes a bit dryer/crisper. Or add DME to a recipe featuring LME to lighten up that malty sweetness a bit besides the extra bittering. I'm a partial masher, but a quick E/SG or AE isn't out of the question with what I've learned up to this point.

Use a tad more bittering with LME, as in my experiences DME finishes a bit dryer/crisper. Or add DME to a recipe featuring LME to lighten up that malty sweetness a bit besides the extra bittering. I'm a partial masher, but a quick E/SG or AE isn't out of the question with what I've learned up to this point.

I try to stay away from LME: my LHBS has good quality stuff, but I just don't know what their turnover is.

PM is tempting, but if I've got to mash, then I'm basically looking at an all-grain-complexity and -length day as is, so I might as well save the money and enjoy the whole process. I'm really looking for extract-and-steeping-grains process and time savings here.

-Rich

I only boil for 30 minutes.

Full 6 gallon boil. Steep specialty grains until 170', pull them and dump in all of the DME before things get rolling, get it mixed in well. Add my bittering hops at 30, flavor at 20 and aroma at 5. Dry hop with 2-3 ounces. No carmelization issues.

My brew day is just under two hours.

I've done a half a dozen batches like this. The beer turns out fine. Not as good as AG, but I am finished in half the time. I have two small children, so time is of the essence!

I'm really looking for extract-and-steeping-grains process and time savings here.

If you're looking for time savings, you could check out Williams Brewing. They have several extracts that are designed for a specific beer style - complete grain bill. No steeping grains are needed with these. That saves about a half hour. It only works for those specific styles, but it's an option when it matches your target style.

I'm also not above buying kits when trying a beer I haven't brewed before &/or need a shorter brew day. I found I really like Morebeer's E/SG- ESB kit the way it is. The steeping grains & EKG hops give it a great color & balance. It's easy & quick to brew up. I re-hydrated the S-04 yeast option & it fermented out & was clearing in 10 days flat! Seems like the E/SG kits have come a long way in a few years from some sites like Morebeer.

Also agree with adding simple sugars...up to maximum of 10% of fermentables.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back