expression of bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhorse

Reaction score
I have a pal who swears by making the following water adds:

CaSo4 25g
Cacl 11g
NaCl 9
into
Mash water 49L

What sort of effects would these adds have on deionised water?

What would the subsequent effect be on a light pale ale or blonde with specific reference to :
the expression or type of bitterness?
FG?

Alot of reading talks about how water type 'A' is suited to beer style 'X', but I find little on the why's in terms of what effects an incompatible water profile will have on a given style?

maybee someone could give an example of how a blonde ale might taste brewed with hard vs soft water?

According to the EZ Water Adjustment Spreadsheet, relative to the recommended ranges, Ca is high, Mg is low at zero, residual alkalinity is low.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 0
Mg: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
CaCO3: 0

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 13 / 0
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 0 / 0
CaSO4: 25 / 0
CaCl2: 11 / 0
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 9 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 176 / 176
Mg: 0 / 0
Na: 72 / 72
Cl: 219 / 219
SO4: 283 / 283

RA (mash only): -126 (0 to 0 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.77 (Balanced)

I am new to playing with the spreadsheet, but for a light pale ale on the bitter side of the balanced scale, you could try something like this:

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 0
Mg: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
CaCO3: 0

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 13 / 0
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 3.5 / 0
CaCl2: 7 / 0
MgSO4: 6 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 55 / 55
Mg: 11 / 11
Na: 0 / 0
Cl: 69 / 69
SO4: 87 / 87

RA (mash only): -46 (1 to 6 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.79 (Balanced)

Its hard to tell what those additions would do without first knowing the levels of those same salts already in the water...

I have a pal who swears by making the following water adds:

CaSo4 25g
Cacl 11g
NaCl 9
into
Mash water 49L

What sort of effects would these adds have on deionised water?

What would the subsequent effect be on a light pale ale or blonde with specific reference to :
the expression or type of bitterness?
FG?

Alot of reading talks about how water type 'A' is suited to beer style 'X', but I find little on the why's in terms of what effects an incompatible water profile will have on a given style?

maybee someone could give an example of how a blonde ale might taste brewed with hard vs soft water?

May I suggest you start by reading http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15.html
This gives some good information on the effects of various ions on both the mash and the final brew.
From there, you can go to http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php to get the requirements for different beer styles.
Once you have the requirements and effects, all you need is experience before you can make informed decisions.
Other books worth reading are:
The Principles of Brewing Science (George Fix)
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Br...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274486676&sr=1-1New Brewing Lager Beer (Greg Noonan)
and if you are interested in Pale Ales, Pale Ale (Terry Foster)
The last reference suggests ion concentrations for Ca, SO4, and Cl for each of his recipes.

-a.

Latest posts

Back