EXPLOSION do i need to pitch more yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblewis

Reaction score
This is my second batch of a British ale. i just through this on on top of the yeast cake of the first. This time my blow off tube got clogged one mourning and blow about 2 gallons of beer all over the ground. The 3 gallons that where left kept fermenting for about a day. the og was 1.050 and the gravity now is about 1.15 almost done.

the beer taste like it is carbonated and has particles floating around in it, even though it is barley fermenting still, about a bubble a min from airlock.

should i just rack in to secondary at 1 week. or pitch some more yeast.

used below recipe with a little more grain.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13154&highlight=castle

The fact that you had a giant blowoff tells you that your yeast is alive, kicking, and working overtime. Definitely no need to pitch more.
It has slowed down because it did such a good job in that one day. It is very common for a batch to ferment like mad for a day or two and then appear to have stopped. It's still fermenting, but there isn't much left to ferment.
Like Sause says, after one week throw it into secondary and let it clear there for a couple weeks.

Back