Explain fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilot

Reaction score
So, assuming primary is done, with a stable and normal FG. Planning to rack to secondary onto berries (I had berries in the primary as well, if it matters).

So, when I rack, in this context, do I 1) rack onto sulfite, or 2) sulfite and sorbate (stabilize), or 3) is it better for the end result to do that after removing the berries?

Hi bushpilot. Here's my understanding. Others may have a different position.
Always good to rack onto K-meta (your "sulfite"). This adds free sulfur and free sulfur combines with O2 and reduces oxidation. You might ADD K-sorbate with K-meta shortly before you bottle IF your plan is to back sweeten the mead. Sorbate act as contraceptives for the yeast preventing them from reproducing but if they have no sugars to eat then adding another chemical to your mead unnecessarily is a waste of money and serves no purpose. You would stabilize a mead or wine shortly before you bottle because that is when you would back sweeten, so the fruit would long have been removed and your mead or wine would have been racked another couple of times to help a) remove it from the lees and b) remove yeast cells and c) help clarify the mead or wine so that it is crystal clear.

Back