Explain differences in 3 different yeasts for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungLikeHood

Reaction score
Im still new too the home brewing world and I know that there is many different yeasts out there but i want to order a new recipe kit and it gives me the choices of 3 different yeasts. Dry, wyeast, and white labs is the choices. I've heard that white labs is the best of the 3 but i don't know why and would like to, as well as how you know which is the best choice.

Liquid yeast (Wyeast and White Labs) typically gives you greater variety to choose from. I've really only used Wyeast so far, with excellent results. Of course, I also use a starter for my liquid yeast (would/will do the same when I try White Labs yeast). With Wyeast you don't need to worry about getting a gusher as you open up the package. Getting that from White Labs vials is posted all over these boards. I do like the information I can easily get on the Wyeast strains, which is why I gravitate towards them.

As for White Labs being 'the best of the 3' it all depends on who you ask and what experiences they've had with each. I've yet to use dry yeast for any of my beers. I know people get great results with it, I just like the variety from Wyeast.

I used Wyeast for the longest time, but now almost exclusively use White Labs. Their offerings are pretty similar and both are reputable suppliers with a wide variety to suit your style. The only dry yeast I've used is Nottingham, but lots of brewers have had good experience with these.

The biggest difference is in the variety offered by the liquid yeasts. I'm not sure about pitching rates between the three, but I always make a starter so it balances out.

i've just switched (past two batches) to liquid yeast from dry yeast
i like it because i get something to do worknights before brewday (which is either friday night or saturday): making the starter, shaking it and shaking it
plus the variety. i'm really interested by the kolsch and cali lager yeasts, so my first two batches used these

Dry yeasts are limited in their variety. They however don't typically need a starter, which makes them easier to use. Dry yeast also tends to be less expensive.

There are a wider variety of liquid yeasts to make a wider variety of styles of beer. However, to get the best results, making a starter is recommended simply due to lower cell counts.

If you're still new, it may be easier at this point to use dry yeast when it fits the style you are making and focus on other aspects of the brew process. When you've read up on starters and want to experiment a bit, move on to liquid yeasts. Yeast choice really can have a big impact on the results you get.

If it's your first brew (or one of your first), go with the dry (assuming it's S05, S04, Nottingham, or a few others). It's easier to use and works just as well as liquid.

Once you get more comfortable with the brewing process, then changing up the yeasts, making starters, etc., is a fun thing to do. But if you're just starting out there's enough other stuff to worry about.

I'm going to assume they are recommending While Labs WLP001, Wyeast 1056, and Safale -05. If this is in fact the case, they are all the same strain. It's best to make a starter for liquid yeasts because the cell count per packet is less than dry. There are equivalent strains in both Wyeast and White Labs, both are excellent products, it's just a matter of personal preference. Dry yeast can make excellent beer as well, I use dry when I want to brew spontaneously and liquid when I can plan ahead and make a starter. You'd be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference in the finished beer between S-05, WLP001, and Wyeast 1056.

Latest posts

Back