Expired hefeweizen yeast replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
I was meaning to brew a Hefeweizen this weekend, when I realized that my White Labs yeast has an October 2013 best by date. I live in Peru, so I can't just run down to the homebrew store and get a new one.

Do you think I can revive it with a big enough starter? Or can I use my grains to brew with a Safale 04?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

According to the White Labs website their is still living yeast in the vial for 6-12 months after the best buy date. You could pitch directly from the vial but you will probably get a large lag time before you see any yeasty action. WLP suggests doing a starter.

I would say try a starter. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work. Then, you can pitch your S-04 as plan B. You'll end up with a different beer but you'll still have beer.

Cheers!

Definitely make a starter. Start with 1 liter, SG 1.010. A weak wort won't stress the yeast. Step two can be a standard 1.040 SG. Move up to 1.5 to 2 liters for step 2.

As if to add insult to injury, when I opened the tube to add the yeast to the flask it exploded and I lost half of the yeast to the floor. Perhaps this Hefeweizen wasn't meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back