Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randmc

Reaction score
I am doing a series of experiments with my home brewing this year and after lurking on these forums for a while I decided to start contributing in a positive way. I'll do a write up with some video about my first go round this weekend (Double American IPA) but I wanted to talk to you guys about this weekends brew plans. Winter Storm Nemo is an anagram for immense torn Wort after all.

I have today to come up with my grain bill since the start is going to be shut down tomorrow (CT). So I think I'll keep it simple, The idea is a SMaSH saison. Two three gallon batches, one in a carboy and one top less. I am not doing a wild ferment though, just open. I've been reading a Ton of people saying open ferment adds more esters to the beer, but I'm not sure how true this is. More importantly I don't understand what would be making this difference.

What is the variable in open fermentation that is different? When I ferment in a carboy is there really a pressure increase due to the air lock? Anybody have input?

Back