Experimental hop ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-radbrew

Reaction score
So my aunt just sent me 2 - 8oz packs of experimental hops from Yakima Valley Hops. One is "Chocolate" and the other "Lime." Jumped on their website to get a little more information but because they are "experimental" the only descriptions they have is chocolate/spicy and lime/fruity. Not a whole lot. So now I've got 1 pound of whole leaf hops that I need to do some experiments with. I'm thinking for 1 I want to do an IPA with the lime and some Citra maybe. Of course a stout or porter with the chocolate or even try a pale too. So other than that I got nothing. Any ideas?

if it were me i would do a SMaSH so you can get a better idea of what these hops are like...or try bittering with a known neutral variety and flameout with the expermentals

Yea, I was planning to do at least a 1 gallon SMASH for these to see how the flavor comes out. Trying to figure out what styles either of these could work with. Not a saison or belgian fan so those are out.

Back