Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Episode 8 of our podcast is now up! On this episode we discuss beer news, beer politics, beer conferences and actual science. Then we talk about beer ingredients and Marshall Schott joins us to discuss the results of our newest experiment about hop whirlpool temperature - does it matter? We go to the Tampa Bay Area and talk with Brian Fenstermacher of Southern Brewing & Winemaking about how to run a home-brew shop and a 24 tap nano-brewery with a never ending variety. Seriously, you’ll want to listen to hear how Brian has structured the brewery to run multiple simultaneous brews without getting lost! Then it’s Q&A time, a quick tip and Marshall drops a little jam on the something non-beery side of the house to close us out.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-8-southern-whirl

DON’T FORGET - ONE MORE EPISODE TO OUR ALL-ish Q&A episode!

Thoughts? Comment below or send us an email at [email protected]!

if you have **questions** you want us to answer on the show - drop us a q at [email protected]!

If you want to help us with experiments - Join the *IGOR* crew - Details here - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/igors

If you want to suggest an experiment - Click this link - http://experimentalbrew.com/suggest

Listen to the podcast to find out how to help support our current charity - **Freedom Service Dogs** -http://freedomservicedogs.org

Don't forget to subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcasting platform. And give us a rating - ratings help people find our show!

**iTunes Link:** https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/experimental-brewing/id1056223392

**Stitcher:** http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/experimental-brewing?refid=stpr

**Podcast RSS:** http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss

**Direct link to this episode:**
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect...entalBrewing_Episode_008_A_Southern_Whirl.mp3

Hmm. I know Bryan (though I haven't used that shop in a year). I can't imagine a better homebrew shop than Southern, but I've got one just a few minutes from my house now that I'm supporting. Very cool that he's featured. I'll give it a listen today. Thanks Denny.

I love the super long ones because it gives me ample commute relief in the morning...only problem is I always want a beer during the pub section and that's usually sometime before 7am :tank:

I love the super long ones because it gives me ample commute relief in the morning...only problem is I always want a beer during the pub section and that's usually sometime before 7am :tank:

Good to know you like the long ones. Drew and I have been debating whether we need to cut them down, but it's pretty hard to do when it's an experimental results episode with Marshall.

Good to know you like the long ones. Drew and I have been debating whether we need to cut them down, but it's pretty hard to do when it's an experimental results episode with Marshall.

You could almost chop them in half and do weekly (which I'm sure would be a heck of a lot more work though) but I don't feel like they drag at all. I also really like the interviews you guys have been doing, and personally I would rather they get split up (like Roger Davis) versus being cut down. Just finished the new one this morning, keep up the excellent work!

Listened to about half today - will finish tomorrow. Good experiment with Marshall. Also listened to about half of Drew's interview with Bryan, which is particularly interesting to me since I'm familiar with him and his place and all. Very enjoyable show so far - I think it will become my default beery podcast now.

Great job by Marshall, as usual, to attempt to perform truly scientific experiments. The long discussion of statistics and outliers and such are necessary if anyone's going to believe the conclusions.

Two minor criticisms:
  • I prefer to hear the result/conclusion of an experiment, then the setup/data/discussion. That's why white papers are always written in that order. Unless I missed it, the conclusions were stated well after all the other stuff.
  • Too much distracting echo/room noise in Drew's interview. I've been in the brewing room where he did it and I know it's all concrete and warehouse construction. Need to mike the subjects. Maybe this was an impromptu interview. Content was great. Just minor nitpicky stuff here.

You could almost chop them in half and do weekly (which I'm sure would be a heck of a lot more work though) but I don't feel like they drag at all. I also really like the interviews you guys have been doing, and personally I would rather they get split up (like Roger Davis) versus being cut down. Just finished the new one this morning, keep up the excellent work!

Thanks We really appreciate hearing thoughts from listeners to help us improve things. I've been advocating splitting interviews but so far haven't been able to convince Drew.

Listened to about half today - will finish tomorrow. Good experiment with Marshall. Also listened to about half of Drew's interview with Bryan, which is particularly interesting to me since I'm familiar with him and his place and all. Very enjoyable show so far - I think it will become my default beery podcast now.

Great job by Marshall, as usual, to attempt to perform truly scientific experiments. The long discussion of statistics and outliers and such are necessary if anyone's going to believe the conclusions.

Two minor criticisms:
  • I prefer to hear the result/conclusion of an experiment, then the setup/data/discussion. That's why white papers are always written in that order. Unless I missed it, the conclusions were stated well after all the other stuff.
  • Too much distracting echo/room noise in Drew's interview. I've been in the brewing room where he did it and I know it's all concrete and warehouse construction. Need to mike the subjects. Maybe this was an impromptu interview. Content was great. Just minor nitpicky stuff here.

Thanks for your thoughts! We have discussed close micing the interviews. Need to look into it some more.

Two minor criticisms:

Hey, it just struck me that you might not realize it wasn't Marshall's experiment. We just ask him on to discuss the results of our experiments and get his insights to add to our own. He's such a great guy and it's a lot of fun to have him on. We announce a new experiment on the first show of a month. The results come out six weeks later and Marshall joins us to discuss them. And if you already knew that, please excuse my long winded explanation!

Nope, I did not know that. He's got a reputation for running experiments, so I just assumed :). It might have been discussed in earlier episodes, but I skipped right to this one. Thanks for clearing that up Denny.

Hey, it just struck me that you might not realize it wasn't Marshall's experiment. We just ask him on to discuss the results of our experiments and get his insights to add to our own. He's such a great guy and it's a lot of fun to have him on. We announce a new experiment on the first show of a month. The results come out six weeks later and Marshall joins us to discuss them. And if you already knew that, please excuse my long winded explanation!

Nope, I did not know that. He's got a reputation for running experiments, so I just assumed :). It might have been discussed in earlier episodes, but I skipped right to this one. Thanks for clearing that up Denny.

Well, that's one reason we call it "Experimental Brewing"....we do experiments! :)

Back