Experiment with cherry juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
I purchased two kinds of cherry juice at the store the other day, and because the jars containing them had openings that were “bung sized,” I made two micro-fermentations (they were each about 1/4 gallon). With the first jar of cherry juice, I added enough acid to bring the Ph from 3.95 to 3.65, about 1/8 teaspoon wine tannin, yeast nutrient, and 1/4 cup sugar to bring the OG to 1.090 or so. For the second jar, I only added 1/4 cup sugar and yeast nutrient. My intention was to get as close a comparison as I could between the two juices so that I could get a clear idea of what exactly acid and tannin additives “do” for a wine.

Does anyone else have experiences fermenting cherry juice or ideas for my next attempt?

Is it R.W. Knudsen's cherry juice? When I saw it on the grocery shelf (and it was on sale, which was really rare), I knew I wanted to try it, too!

When I made cherry wine out of it, I used 4 quarts of "Just Black Cherry" juice, 0.75 lbs. sugar to bump up the PA to 10%, and the same nutrient and tannin that you did. To be on the safe side, I also used some pectic enzyme, though I wasn't sure if cherries have a lot of pectin in them. The resulting wine was a very dark scarlet, dry wine that tasted like very non-sweet cherries.Personally, it tasted too much like a "normal" store-bought red for me, so I doubt I will make it again. I try to make wines and flavors that I can't go out and buy at a store.

Be sure to leave enough headspace in those bottles; no telling how violent that first fermentation is going to be. Cleaning up red froth can be tricky!

Is it R.W. Knudsen's cherry juice? When I saw it on the grocery shelf (and it was on sale, which was really rare), I knew I wanted to try it, too!

When I made cherry wine out of it, I used 4 quarts of "Just Black Cherry" juice, 0.75 lbs. sugar to bump up the PA to 10%, and the same nutrient and tannin that you did. To be on the safe side, I also used some pectic enzyme, though I wasn't sure if cherries have a lot of pectin in them. The resulting wine was a very dark scarlet, dry wine that tasted like very non-sweet cherries.Personally, it tasted too much like a "normal" store-bought red for me, so I doubt I will make it again. I try to make wines and flavors that I can't go out and buy at a store.

Be sure to leave enough headspace in those bottles; no telling how violent that first fermentation is going to be. Cleaning up red froth can be tricky!

That’s the exact one! The problem I have just run into is that the jar with the additives has a TON of sediment building up (almost half the jar!), and the fermentation has slowed considerably. It’s only been one week! Any similar experience/advice?

I have a limited amount of experience with cherry juice- a few session meads and adding it to cider.

I’m not a fan of regular cherry juice. It’s typically cut with apple juice and is better suited for drinking as is, not fermented. When fermented it is bland and can give off a cough syrup taste.

I’ve had much better luck using tart cherry juice. For cherry cider I use about 20% cherry to apple juice. It has a great cherry flavor as is but I usually backsweeten with 12-16 oz of cherry juice along with a touch of honey or other sugar.

I’ve purchased the tart cherry juice at Costco in the past.

That’s the exact one! The problem I have just run into is that the jar with the additives has a TON of sediment building up (almost half the jar!), and the fermentation has slowed considerably. It’s only been one week! Any similar experience/advice?

With the nutrients and a more favorable PH for wine yeast it likely went in to overdrive like turbo yeast. Some wines do better without yeast energizer. Some dont. I know watermelon wine benefits in that watermelon must goes bad extremely quick so its actually better to ferment it fast. Faster fermentation means more yeast cells which then leads to a thicker lees sedimentation.
The speed at which its fermented also lends to different high alcohols and volitile oils which also can either make it better or worse depending on the situation. Stressed yeast generally doesn't lend to positive flavors in fruits wines ime.
Cherry must likely doesn't go bad that fast given that cherries have a fairly stable shelf life for a fruit. I don't know for sure.

With the nutrients and a more favorable PH for wine yeast it likely went in to overdrive like turbo yeast. Some wines do better without yeast energizer. Some dont. I know watermelon wine benefits in that watermelon must goes bad extremely quick so its actually better to ferment it fast. Faster fermentation means more yeast cells which then leads to a thicker lees sedimentation.
The speed at which its fermented also lends to different high alcohols and volitile oils which also can either make it better or worse depending on the situation. Stressed yeast generally doesn't lend to positive flavors in fruits wines ime.
Cherry must likely doesn't go bad that fast given that cherries have a fairly stable shelf life for a fruit. I don't know for sure.

Fascinating! Thank you for that helpful analysis. I swished up the jar last night and threw in some pectic enzyme (why not at this point?) so I’ll keep you posted on what happens next.

... The problem I have just run into is that the jar with the additives has a TON of sediment building up (almost half the jar!), and the fermentation has slowed considerably. It’s only been one week! Any similar experience/advice?
Yes! That batch threw a TON of sediment. Wasn't really sure why, but I guessed it was a mix of the possible plant matter (cherry skins, pulp) and other particulates falling out of solution from fermentation. It's great juice - I used their Just Blueberry Juice to make a blueberry mead (also called worreen).

Back