Experiment Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
Any ideas out there for an experiment that you would like to try but don't have the time/patience for? I would like to do some kind of homebrew experiment and post as a thread. I've seen yeast comparison done before so that may be a repeat. Brainstorm some ideas!! I will let you all know what I decide to do.

I saw a Gordon Strong podcast where he recommends steeping grains that do not need to convert rather than mashing them. He claims this minimizes harsh flavors. I think a side by side batch testing this would be interesting. (I am going to try it without a control group the next time I brew the BYO Shakespeare Stout clone recipe).

I'd like to see a comparison of yeast strains with hop character, because some seem to emphasize hop character better than others. But keep it limited to relatively common strains that homebrewers use for pale ales/ipas (Chico strain, American II, Denny's)

I would be very interested in comparing a double decoction lager to a step mash lager. Decoction is lots of extra work, how much of a difference does it make?

Back