Experience with prickly pears/cactus tuna?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC73

Reaction score
Hi there. I've managed to secure myself some prickly pears this year. I'm going to make some jelly, but I'm also going to try making "cider" out of the rest.

Does anyone have experience with prickly pears? The way I see it I can either make juice by boiling the pears in water to extract all the goodness (same way the jelly is made), or I can crush the pears and run them through my press. Has anyone ever tried this? My initial thoughts are the less processing, the better, and go with the crush/press option...

Thanks!

Decided to go with the crush/press option. Will most likely be harvesting and crushing this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...

:off:
I couldn't help but think of Bare Necessities.
1599841634510.png

No experience with prickly pear cider but have made a mead from prickly pears, or tunas.
They have a very unique flavor especially when fermented. Almost a melon or pumpkin flavor along with berry.

I would look into making a session mead. It would be a great flavor and color.
The color will go from bright pink to orangish over time. You could try SO2 to retain the color.

The easiest way to access the fruit is to build a charcoal fire and throw the tunas on for a few seconds while turning. This will burn off the stickers easily. Cool then peel skin off with knife.

So I finally got around to picking those prickly pears. Decided to flame them over a gas burner on my stove. Long, painful process. I'll definitely go the charcoal fire route next time. Thanks AzOr for the suggestion.

Got about 2/3 gal of deep purple/red juice with an SG of 1.03. Upped it to 1.05 and added a cambden tablet. 12 hrs later added a little pectic enzyme and will be pitching some Mangrove Jack cider yeast in a couple of hours. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

...I've got those, bear necessities....

So I finally got around to picking those prickly pears. Decided to flame them over a gas burner on my stove. Long, painful process. I'll definitely go the charcoal fire route next time. Thanks AzOr for the suggestion.

Got about 2/3 gal of deep purple/red juice with an SG of 1.03. Upped it to 1.05 and added a cambden tablet. 12 hrs later added a little pectic enzyme and will be pitching some Mangrove Jack cider yeast in a couple of hours. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

...I've got those, bear necessities....
How'd it go @DaveC73 ?

I guess I forgot to let y'all know how it turned out!

I'd say it was an overall success. I ended up blending the cactus with apple cider because I was a little worried 100% fermented cactus juice would be a little much. So I ended up with a couple of bottle of 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% cactus cider. I've got to say it was really quite good, tasting of something like melon/cucumber (or maybe watermelon rind?). My fave was the 50/50 blend, but the rest were good too.

The craziest part is the color. It's beyond electric pink. Beets have nothing on these puppies. I figure my 3/4 gallon of cactus juice could probably have made about 500 gallons of apple cider into rose. I'll try it again next year if I can secure some more fruit (the cactus were wiped out by the freeze this past February).

I'd say it was an overall success. I ended up blending the cactus with apple cider because I was a little worried 100% fermented cactus juice would be a little much. So I ended up with a couple of bottle of 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% cactus cider. I've got to say it was really quite good, tasting of something like melon/cucumber (or maybe watermelon rind?). My fave was the 50/50 blend, but the rest were good too.

The craziest part is the color. It's beyond electric pink. Beets have nothing on these puppies. I figure my 3/4 gallon of cactus juice could probably have made about 500 gallons of apple cider into rose. I'll try it again next year if I can secure some more fruit (the cactus were wiped out by the freeze this past February).
Hmm, Beets aye?...

Have you no decency? How dare you update us without pictures.
I totally get what you mean by the melon/cucumber thing. I described my prickly pear mead as like a fruity squash. Doesn’t sound good but it was delicious. I have long since moved away from the desert but I do miss harvesting and fermenting tunas.

I've used them in beer and a little goes a long way both in color and flavor.
Are you referring to using beets in beer? I’ve used it once in a Pilsner. I called it Pinko Pilz. I used about 1/2 small can (wo vinegar or chemicals). It gave it a very slight pinkish hue. I did t pick up any earthiness or flavor from them at that amt.

Another option for cider or mead is hibiscus or jamaica. It is very acidic so I wouldn’t use in beer. There are some exceptions, primarily saisons or sours.

you can make a tea and dose as needed.

the other thing to remember w color in meads and ciders, is by stabilizing w chemicals, you can “lock” in some of the color.

This sounds wonderful!

When I collect cactus fruit for fermenting, I just scoop out the insides.

1. Did you use the whole fruit?
2. Did you hit it with pectinaze to clarify and break down the gooiness of the cactus?

Peace,

Reevesie

This sounds wonderful!

When I collect cactus fruit for fermenting, I just scoop out the insides.

1. Did you use the whole fruit?
2. Did you hit it with pectinaze to clarify and break down the gooiness of the cactus?

Peace,

Reevesie
Yes, I used whole fruit. I burned the hairs off over a gas burner and crushed them in my fruit crusher. Pressed the pulp in my little countertop press and hit the resulting juice with some pectinase. No slime/goo from the cactus at all after this.

Have you no decency? How dare you update us without pictures.
My apologies AzOr, I must have forgotten my manners! Luckily enough I still have, ahem had, one bottle of the 50/50 tuna/apple blend and I just cracked it. The color has subdued quite a bit (it's been almost a year since bottling) and it's picked up a sort of pine needle (or maybe even hoppy?) subtle undertone. I think I like it more now than I did 6 months ago.

Anyway, here's some photos. Keep in mind that photography is not my strong suit.

Attachments

• tuna4.jpg
    tuna4.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tuna1.jpg
    tuna1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • tuna2.jpg
    tuna2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • tuna3.jpg
    tuna3.jpg