Expediting carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I know through experience that it takes around 3 weeks once a beer is bottled to get good carbonation. I know that ambient temp plays a role in that and that the warmer the room temp the quicker the beer will carb.

I have been looking to make a stir plate for yeast starters and it got me thinking about bottle conditioning.

Would agitating bottles for the first week or so of conditioning have the same benefits that using a stir plate has on starters? i.e. keeping the yeast roused and in suspension.

Would this expedite carbonation at all?

"Good carbonation" can happen much sooner than 3 weeks in the bottle. However, that is not the sole reason for the amount of time needed for a beer to bottle-condition properly. The yeast need time to do their thing. This is not a step that I would advise anyone attempt to rush. If you want faster turnaround time keg your beer.

Higher temperatures, but I don't know how high and how much they affect it aside from putting them in a fridge nearly stops it.

I also read in the San Diego super yeast thread that someone was able to get their bottles carbed in ~1 week, I think. You'll have to look up the post.

I think it was my Sunset Gold APA that carbed very well in 11 days flat. But proper conditioning was something like 23 days. So conditioning takes longer than carbonating. You can't rush that part.

Latest posts

Back