Expected FG calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky71

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years so I should know this but I don't. I'm looking for a specific calculator or software that I can enter the type of yeast I used and OG to get an estimated FG. I'm sure this is probably a common function of some calculator or software.

Backstory: I used a US-05 yeast (rehydrated) for a peach mead. I mixed in 12.5 pounds of honey in 2 gallons of water after heating the water to 116 degrees. Mixed it well and then poured it into my 5 gallon primary and topped off the water up to a little past the 5 gallon mark. I pitched the yeast the next morning after it cooled down.

OG read 1.088 and today it read 1.068. Tastes sweet and peachy so far. I calculated the alcohol content currently at just under 3%. Using that yeast I read that it will die off from alcohol at 10%. However i have seen someone say it will die off up to 12%.

I used the US-05 because I wanted the mead to stay on the sweet side and I wanted the alcohol to be around 9% - 10% to reduce aging etc. Anyone know a true range the alcohol will kill off this yeast or how I can get an approx. FG. If I were making it dry I would expect it at around 1.00 but I'm not doing that so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance.

Back