Expect Opinion Required on Magnetic Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
I can get a 2nd hand one for cheap and just wanted to get some feedback first, the only thing I need to know really is whether it can be used to make starters, namely with a 3 litre erlenmeyer flask (base diameter 187mm).

Stir Bar : 3cm
Plate Dimension : 16cm x 16cm
Power (W) : 50 Maximum
Stirrer Speed (rpm) : 100-1500
Dimension (mm) : 220 x 240 x 145
Power Supply : 230V, 50Hz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWE...hash=item4d3b07861d:m:mmwBQghA7_m1odOT5a_HawQ

Thanks.

I have a 2l, 3l, & 5l flask. I use a 1" stir bar in all of them. Go with a 1" (25mm) and you'll be fine.

So how come you use so many different sizes? I would of thought the 5l would be ideal as more headroom = more oxygenation. Whats the minimum you would put in there?

I can get a 2nd hand one for cheap and just wanted to get some feedback first, the only thing I need to know really is whether it can be used to make starters, namely with a 3 litre erlenmeyer flask (base diameter 187mm).

Stir Bar : 3cm
Plate Dimension : 16cm x 16cm
Power (W) : 50 Maximum
Stirrer Speed (rpm) : 100-1500
Dimension (mm) : 220 x 240 x 145
Power Supply : 230V, 50Hz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWE...hash=item4d3b07861d:m:mmwBQghA7_m1odOT5a_HawQ

Thanks.

Looks more than capable but the price is very high. You can make one yourself for less than $20 US.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449014841.734222.jpg

So how come you use so many different sizes? I would of thought the 5l would be ideal as more headroom = more oxygenation. Whats the minimum you would put in there?

My first one was a 2l. It worked well, but would occasionally volcano when using some of the more active yeast strains. I then picked up a 5l for making lager starters. It's nice and big, but due to its size, it can be a problem fitting it into the fridge for cold crashing. I wanted a happy medium, so I added a 3l a short time later. The 3l is the one I use most often. I don't really use the 2l anymore and the only time I use the 5l is for lagers.

I have a 2l, 3l, & 5l flask. I use a 1" stir bar in all of them. Go with a 1" (25mm) and you'll be fine.

I also use 1" stirbar with 1l 2l and 5l. It's nice to have variety size of flasks. I'll use 1l for smaller 5g batches, 2l for bigger 5g batches and 5l for 10g batches and yeast harvesting! I do all this on a homemade 5v computer fan stirplate so I'm sure yours will be fine.

I also use 1" stirbar with 1l 2l and 5l. It's nice to have variety size of flasks. I'll use 1l for smaller 5g batches, 2l for bigger 5g batches and 5l for 10g batches and yeast harvesting! I do all this on a homemade 5v computer fan stirplate so I'm sure yours will be fine.

I also use a diy stirplate using a 12v fan with a pwm speed controller and 2 magnets with a 2l flask... I used an old plastic blank cd holder for 100 cds as the case so anything bigger doesnt fit as well on top as well.

I then picked up a 5l for making lager starters. It's nice and big, but due to its size, it can be a problem fitting it into the fridge for cold crashing.

I had the same issue with my 5l demijohn so I started putting it in a cool box with a bunch of ice packs and let it settle over night.

Back