DIY $20 Stir Plate from Ebay(Pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChangoGuero

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a pretty straight forward DIY stir plate with all the parts from Ebay, some part are coming from china and it might take a month or more to get them but i went as cheap as possible.

First of all i super glued x2 magnets to the top part of the fan at the center with a little separation between each other, disassembled the PC fan controller by taking the 2 screws off and the knob and the board pops right off, drilled a hole in the center for the power cord and drilled another to the left for the board knob and glued it with a hot glue gun on the sides of the board.

IMG_20170129_124358.jpg
Cut the cable for the power from the board and the charger and join the cables, connect the fan cable to the fan and you can spin the extra cable around the fan, no need to cut that one.

IMG_20170129_124430.jpg
Here you can see the connection cable for the fan and the board, super glued x2 metal washers on each end of the fan, that way the top surface will be completely flat and as close as possible to the fan magnets.

Parts List
12V 1A US AC110 220V Power Supply Adapter Transformer LED Strip
Waterproof Plastic Electronic Project Box Enclosure Cover Case 158x90x60mm
2pcs 1" B25 magnetic stirrer bar stir mixer bars PTFE lab spin spinner
12mm x 2mm 10PCS Neodymium Super Strong Rare-Earth N35 Small Fridge Magnets
3 Pin 12V 80mm 25mm PC CPU Cooling Fan Heatsinks Radiator For Desktop Computer
NOTE: On controllers you have two options, both of them would work either way, prices may change thats why i am putting 2 options.
(1)STW PCI 3-Pin 12V Cooling Fan Speed Controller For PC CPU VGA Fan Speed Control
(2)12V 3Pin PC Cooling Fan Speed Controller For PC CPU VGA Fan PCI Speed Control

IMG_20170126_185207.jpg

Hope it helps! Cheers :mug:

I don't intend to be too negative, but my arithmetic disallows a total of just 20USD when a single item is, according to above link, US $115.99.

when i bought it it was $5.99 but looks like they changed the price, i just updated it, but as NivBrew said this new controller should work exactly the same way :mug:

@ElChangoGuero, do you have a picture of what your referring to here..."First of all i super glued x2 magnets to the top part of the fan at the center with a little separation between each other"

@ElChangoGuero, do you have a picture of what your referring to here..."First of all i super glued x2 magnets to the top part of the fan at the center with a little separation between each other"

damn, i cant do that because its still super glued lol, but it looks something like this, without the 3d printer part.
75per_img_80624.jpg

Back